From: boatman312 on
On 08/11/10 2:20 PM, LVTravel wrote:

> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> But I also need to run Word, Excel, and VB6.
>> And have USB support for a four-port hub, because I'll have the drive,
>> a keyboard, and a mouse with only two USB ports.
>>
>> Ed
>>
>> On Aug 10, 4:59 am, Bob I <bire...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> You don't need 2 GB to install MSDOS.
>
> You also can not install any Office programs to run from a USB removable
> drive. They have to be a "fixed" drive in the system.

Except for OpenOffice...

http://lifehacker.com/5113888/openofficeorg-portable-30-ready-for-your-thumb-drive
From: LVTravel on

"boatman312" <eracars(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 08/11/10 2:20 PM, LVTravel wrote:
>>

>> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> But I also need to run Word, Excel, and VB6.
>>> And have USB support for a four-port hub, because I'll have the drive,
>>> a keyboard, and a mouse with only two USB ports.
>>>
>>> Ed

>> You also can not install any Office programs to run from a USB removable
>> drive. They have to be a "fixed" drive in the system.
>
> Except for OpenOffice...
>
> http://lifehacker.com/5113888/openofficeorg-portable-30-ready-for-your-thumb-drive

Correct but the OP was talking about Microsoft Office programs. If he wants
to run Linux with Open Office linux version that would be perfectly OK just
as I said in my first response back to the OP.

From: Bob I on
Humm, I've never seen a mouse with USB ports, much less 2 of them. All
kidding aside, you aren't going to be running a setup like that with
Windows XP. The only way Windows XP can even potentially run from a
drive on USB is you have to hack the USB port recognition features so
they aren't available any more. Beginning to get the picture?

From: Ed from AZ on
On Aug 12, 5:13 am, Bob I <bire...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Beginning to get the picture?

Long time ago!
Time to search for a "new" IDE hard drive.
Geeks.com has a few in the 20-30 dollar range.
Might even be able to find one locally for less.
'Course, that's where the current noisy one came from .....

Oh, well ... the adventure continues!
Thanks for all the responses.

Ed