From: Ed from AZ on
I've got an older desk top with an aging hard drive that has a bad
whine. This machine is used for a very limited application, and is
fine for that use - except for the noise.

Can XP SP2 install and run from a thumb drive? THe idea is to tel the
machine to boot from the thumb drive and run the OS and a couple of
programs from there. No hard drive, no whine.

Good idea or bad?
Ed
From: Bruce Hagen on

"Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've got an older desk top with an aging hard drive that has a bad
> whine. This machine is used for a very limited application, and is
> fine for that use - except for the noise.
>
> Can XP SP2 install and run from a thumb drive? THe idea is to tel the
> machine to boot from the thumb drive and run the OS and a couple of
> programs from there. No hard drive, no whine.
>
> Good idea or bad?
> Ed

I don't know about your question, but hard drives don't usually whine. I
would be giving the fans a super good cleaning out. Remove them if you can
and get some 'Air In A Can' to blow them out. Even if they look clean,
they may well be plugged up internally where you can't see.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

From: LVTravel on

"Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've got an older desk top with an aging hard drive that has a bad
> whine. This machine is used for a very limited application, and is
> fine for that use - except for the noise.
>
> Can XP SP2 install and run from a thumb drive? THe idea is to tel the
> machine to boot from the thumb drive and run the OS and a couple of
> programs from there. No hard drive, no whine.
>
> Good idea or bad?
> Ed

Windows XP and any other later operating systems are designed to NOT be able
to be installed onto a USB external device. The installation will fail as
soon as the removable media is detected.
There has been some reports that people have hacked the OS to be able to do
this but no one has successfully posted anything about it.

There are other operating systems, Linux specifically and all it's
offshoots, that can be booted from a USB device and there are open source
programs that will read and write to Office standards.

The issue you may run into with this type of setup is that USB key devices
(thumb drive) has a finite lifetime in number of read/write cycles they will
do. They can fail at any time and often do.

From: Mark Adams on

"Ed from AZ" wrote:

> I've got an older desk top with an aging hard drive that has a bad
> whine. This machine is used for a very limited application, and is
> fine for that use - except for the noise.
>
> Can XP SP2 install and run from a thumb drive? THe idea is to tel the
> machine to boot from the thumb drive and run the OS and a couple of
> programs from there. No hard drive, no whine.
>
> Good idea or bad?
> Ed
> .

Bad idea. XP is not designed to run from a USB device, not to mention your
older hardware may not even be capable of booting from USB. Buy a new hard
drive and clone the OS to the new drive. If you are really concerned about
noise, buy a solid state hard drive; no moving parts.
From: Db on
yes, you can boot with
a thumb drive,

however I don't know