From: moondaddy on
Is it possible to install windows 7 virtual PC on a hyper-v windows 7 vm?
In installed the WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe first and then installed
Windows6.1-KB958559-x86.msu as instructed from the VPC home page. but I
have 2 issues.

1) when I try to run WinXP mode, I get the error msg saying "... requires
hardware-assisted virtualization..."
- note: I have a Intel 64 bit quad core machine running win srvr 2008
R2 hyper-V, and I setup a Win7 32 pro VM for this test.

2) there is no icon to start VPC. as a matter of fact, when I go too the
install dir in progman, there are only 2 iso files and no application files.
its like VPC was never installed.

Where did I go wrong? Did VPC install and I don't know where to find it?
Is my problem with running the 32 bit version of win7 pro instead of a 64
bit version?

Thanks.

--
moondaddy(a)newsgroup.nospam

From: Robert Comer on
No, it's not possible. Windows 7 Virtual PC (Windows Virtual PC is
what it is called now) has to have direct access to the processor for
its' virtualization, so it can't run in a VM.

--
Bob Comer

From: VanguardLH on
moondaddy wrote:

> Is it possible to install windows 7 virtual PC on a hyper-v windows 7 vm?

Isn't the point of Hyper-V to let you run multiple guests (VMs)? Why
would you load one instance of Windows 7 in a VM under Hyper-V to then
try to load in that instance of Windows another VM? Why not create
another VM under Hyper-V and run that one as the 2nd instance of Win7
(assuming you actually have the 2nd license)?
From: moondaddy on
Because I'm wanting to do away with the windows 2008 r2 OS and use windows 7
instead

From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 16:16:05 -0500, "moondaddy"
<moondaddy(a)newsgroup.nospam> wrote:

>Because I'm wanting to do away with the windows 2008 r2 OS and use windows 7
>instead

That still doesn't make sense. Hyper-V is a VM solution, so why do
you need to run another VM program inside of it?

Hyper-V doesn't require an OS, it works outside the OS, its a
hypervisor.

the Hyper-V product is designed for a different use than VPC.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP