From: Ron Carr on
Win 7 Ultimate x64
Virtual PC was automatically installed as part of Win 7 Ultimate, but if I
start it, I get:
"Virtual PC has detected an invalid or missing Product ID."
As far as I see, this program came with Win 7 Ultimate, and I have no
Product ID.
Any help welcome! Really need Windows XP!
Thanks.
Ron
From: VanguardLH on
Ron Carr wrote:

> Win 7 Ultimate x64 Virtual PC was automatically installed as part of
> Win 7 Ultimate, but if I start it, I get: "Virtual PC has detected an
> invalid or missing Product ID." As far as I see, this program came
> with Win 7 Ultimate, and I have no Product ID. Any help welcome!
> Really need Windows XP! Thanks. Ron

Did you yet enter the product key for Windows 7? If not, you are
currently running a non-validated trial copy of Windows 7.

Did you download XP Mode support (Virtual PC) from the link below?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

I have not heard that Virtual PC comes included in any of the editions
of Windows 7 and instead you have to download it. Even Microsoft states
that you have to download the XP Mode support to install it, as
mentioned in "Setting up Windows XP Mode", step 1, at:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

For other instructions on how to install XP Mode support, see:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8247-windows-xp-mode-install-setup.html

Also, unless you have the requisite hardware needed to support
virtualization, Windows 7's XP Mode (confusingly called Virtual PC)
will not run and you'll be stuck having to use the software emulation
of all hardware (except the CPU) in a virtual machine by using VirtualPC
2007 from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=28c97d22-6eb8-4a09-a7f7-f6c7a1f000b5

or by using other VM products (e.g., VMWare Server, VirtualBox).

The Microsoft community for Windows 7 is found at:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro
From: VanguardLH on
By the way, and from the discussing for Peter Afonin's topic on the same
error, what build of Windows 7 are you using? Is is build 7600 which is
the RTM (released to manufacturing) or *released* version of Windows 7?
From: Bo Berglund on
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:02:54 -0500, VanguardLH <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote:

>The Microsoft community for Windows 7 is found at:
>
>http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro

Is there no newsgroup (like this one) for Windows 7???
I tried updating my ng list from the microsoft.public newsserver but
there was no new ng even though Win7 is now officially released. :-(

I really hate the slowness of web based "forums" with nearly no
overview at all....

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Bill Grant on

"Bo Berglund" <boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:02:54 -0500, VanguardLH <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote:
>

>>The Microsoft community for Windows 7 is found at:
>>
>>http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro
>
> Is there no newsgroup (like this one) for Windows 7???
> I tried updating my ng list from the microsoft.public newsserver but
> there was no new ng even though Win7 is now officially released. :-(
>
> I really hate the slowness of web based "forums" with nearly no
> overview at all....
>
> --
>
> Bo Berglund (Sweden)

No newsgroup, only the forums.