From: Owain on
On 15 Dec, 16:47, Dystopia <n...(a)home.com> wrote:
> It has had Suse installed previously but I am having trouble with it
> now.  I have want to install ubuntu but it will not take it.   After
> the language and then the installation screen there is plenty of CD
> drive activity (the drive reads other discs OK) but little HD
> activity. After a while I just get a blank screen with a flashing
> cursor although once I got the yellow screen with a diagonal pattern.

Sounds like a video driver. The latest (but one) version of Ubuntu
broke the way it handles xorg.conf. This is not necessarily consistent
between using a live CD and an install version.

You could try using an older version of Ubuntu (Hardy) or Mint

Owain

From: Backpacker on
Dystopia wrote:

> After a while I just get a blank screen with a flashing
> cursor although once I got the yellow screen with a diagonal pattern.

When you run a Linux installation CD/DVD, there's usually an option at the
bottom of the screen whereby if you press a certain function key you can
change the graphics mode. Did you try this?

--
Backpacker

From: Daniel James on
In article <11ffi5pm4tusa52l8ggra9mv69ieimnd1g(a)4ax.com>, Dystopia
wrote:
> I have a laptop that ... has had Suse installed previously but
> I am having trouble with it now. I have want to install ubuntu
> but it will not take it.

What's the spec of the laptop? How long ago (what version) of SuSe did
you have working?

Current Ubuntu versions are pretty good at supporting a wide range of
hardware, but Ubuntu is getting a little bloated compared with older
distros, and is optimized for fairly modern hardware. Older distros are
less likely to support a bang up-to-date PC, but more likely to work on
older hardware as they will be leaner and won't expect the latest CPU,
etc..

The minimum requirements for Ubuntu here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements
don't say that any particular CPU is required, but I know that many
current distros are built for at least a '686 (Pentium Pro or later)
CPU and won't run on an original Pentium or earlier CPU.

So, what is this old laptop you have?

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: anahata on
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:52:36 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> Knoppix used to be the definitive live CD, but many distros now have
> them. For instance there's a RedHat Fedora one.

Cerinly the current Ubuntu CD combines live and install functions. And
instead of having a "rescue" boot mode, it suggests you boot up the live
CD and do your rescuing from that.

--
Anahata
anahata(a)treewind.co.uk ==//== 01638 720444