From: chris on
Is this is possible? I'd like to play around with the beta of FF4, but
not interfere with my current FF3. I'm worried that if I try to install
FF4, it'll over-write my current install.

I'm not worried about the profiles as I am comfortable in managing which
profiles to use. It's just the installation on the Mac I'm not so
confident about.
TIA
From: Rowland McDonnell on
chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this is possible? I'd like to play around with the beta of FF4, but
> not interfere with my current FF3. I'm worried that if I try to install
> FF4, it'll over-write my current install.
>
> I'm not worried about the profiles as I am comfortable in managing which
> profiles to use. It's just the installation on the Mac I'm not so
> confident about.

FF4 will use your FF3 preferences and settings and cookies and cache and
so on.

This is likely to cause problems.

You might try running FF3 and FF4 using different user profiles to see
if that causes adequate separation such that they don't actually screw
each other up by messing with settings.

But aside from that, what else can go wrong? They both sit there as
ordinary Mac `packages' - specially flagged folders containing all the
code and whatnot. Macland isn't like `normal' Unix - or Windoze.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:06:45 +0100, chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Is this is possible? I'd like to play around with the beta of FF4, but
>not interfere with my current FF3. I'm worried that if I try to install
>FF4, it'll over-write my current install.
>
>I'm not worried about the profiles as I am comfortable in managing which
>profiles to use. It's just the installation on the Mac I'm not so
>confident about.
>TIA

All you need to do is rename one or both. Firefox.app and Firefox4.app
for example. The only other FF data outside the app bundle is the
profiles.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it
flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.
From: chris on
On 30/07/10 10:23, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:06:45 +0100, chris<ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is this is possible? I'd like to play around with the beta of FF4, but
>> not interfere with my current FF3. I'm worried that if I try to install
>> FF4, it'll over-write my current install.
>>
>> I'm not worried about the profiles as I am comfortable in managing which
>> profiles to use. It's just the installation on the Mac I'm not so
>> confident about.
>> TIA
>
> All you need to do is rename one or both. Firefox.app and Firefox4.app
> for example. The only other FF data outside the app bundle is the
> profiles.

Ta. Couldn't do it prior to installation, so had to rename the
pre-existing Firefox.app as Firefox3.app, then install Firefox rename it
as Firefox4.app and then change Firefox3.app back to Firefox.app. A bit
of a PITA, but it worked.

FF4 seems to work well so far, except it uses more cpu while idling that
before (between 5-10%) and goes up the more tabs you have open (no flash
sites) :(
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:09:04 +0100, chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 30/07/10 10:23, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:06:45 +0100, chris<ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is this is possible? I'd like to play around with the beta of FF4, but
>>> not interfere with my current FF3. I'm worried that if I try to install
>>> FF4, it'll over-write my current install.
>>>
>>> I'm not worried about the profiles as I am comfortable in managing which
>>> profiles to use. It's just the installation on the Mac I'm not so
>>> confident about.
>>> TIA
>>
>> All you need to do is rename one or both. Firefox.app and Firefox4.app
>> for example. The only other FF data outside the app bundle is the
>> profiles.
>
>Ta. Couldn't do it prior to installation, so had to rename the
>pre-existing Firefox.app as Firefox3.app, then install Firefox rename it
>as Firefox4.app and then change Firefox3.app back to Firefox.app. A bit
>of a PITA, but it worked.
>
>FF4 seems to work well so far, except it uses more cpu while idling that
>before (between 5-10%) and goes up the more tabs you have open (no flash
>sites) :(

FF3 is bad enough in that respect, sitting there using 5% of my i5
doing nowt. Fully adblocked and noflashed.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - Oscar Wilde