From: John on
In the past, all the external HDs I've had, always shown the space
available to be less than the HDs specs. I have just finished setting
up a Lacie D2 Quadra 1TB HD, after getting rid of the Windows software
I have 999.3 GB available. What have they done different to the HD to
achieve this.

John

From: Conor on
On 30/07/2010 18:18, John wrote:
> In the past, all the external HDs I've had, always shown the space
> available to be less than the HDs specs. I have just finished setting up
> a Lacie D2 Quadra 1TB HD, after getting rid of the Windows software I
> have 999.3 GB available. What have they done different to the HD to
> achieve this.

Nothing.

--
Conor www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Conor <conor(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> John wrote:
> > In the past, all the external HDs I've had, always shown the space
> > available to be less than the HDs specs. I have just finished setting up
> > a Lacie D2 Quadra 1TB HD, after getting rid of the Windows software I
> > have 999.3 GB available. What have they done different to the HD to
> > achieve this.
>
> Nothing.

They have changed the way MacOS X reports disc space.

MacOS X 10.6 shows size in multiples of a thousand rather than powers of
two, which is what the HD adverts use by way of a capacity spec.

I /think/ this is a new thing for 10.6.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Andrew Collier on
In article <2010073018184682457-coffee(a)thecafecom>,
John <coffee(a)the.cafe.com> wrote:

> In the past, all the external HDs I've had, always shown the space
> available to be less than the HDs specs. I have just finished setting
> up a Lacie D2 Quadra 1TB HD, after getting rid of the Windows software
> I have 999.3 GB available. What have they done different to the HD to
> achieve this.

Depending on how recently you last did it, that's probably a change in
MacOS rather than a change in the drives. It changed as of 10.6 to
display GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes, matching the way hard disk
manufacturers specify their capacities.

More info at http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2419

Andrew

--
--- Andrew Collier ---- To reply by email, please use:
---- http://www.intensity.org.uk/ --- 'andrew {at} intensity.org.uk'
From: David Empson on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> Conor <conor(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > John wrote:
> > > In the past, all the external HDs I've had, always shown the space
> > > available to be less than the HDs specs. I have just finished setting up
> > > a Lacie D2 Quadra 1TB HD, after getting rid of the Windows software I
> > > have 999.3 GB available. What have they done different to the HD to
> > > achieve this.
> >
> > Nothing.
>
> They have changed the way MacOS X reports disc space.
>
> MacOS X 10.6 shows size in multiples of a thousand rather than powers of
> two, which is what the HD adverts use by way of a capacity spec.
>
> I /think/ this is a new thing for 10.6.

It is. You have to watch out, though: 10.6 Finder reports capacities in
powers of ten, but third party applications may still be usign powers of
two, resulting in an apparent difference (7% out if the figures are
measured in gigabytes).

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz