From: kirtan on
Hi,
I have Oracle 9i server installed on a machine. For some reason, the
Oracle client has gotten messed up. Can I reinstall the client on the
same machine? Will it affect the existing database on that machine? Do
i have to select the same oracle home or a new one?

Thanks,
Kirtan

From: Mark Bole on
kirtan wrote:
> Hi,
> I have Oracle 9i server installed on a machine. For some reason, the
> Oracle client has gotten messed up. Can I reinstall the client on the
> same machine? Will it affect the existing database on that machine? Do
> i have to select the same oracle home or a new one?
>
> Thanks,
> Kirtan

Please be more specific about "gotten messed up". What are you trying
to do and what error do you get? Platform information would help too.

You can do a fresh install of the client-only software in a different
Oracle home on the same machine, without affecting your existing
database, but it shouldn't be necessary.

-Mark Bole

From: kirtan on

Mark Bole wrote:
> kirtan wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have Oracle 9i server installed on a machine. For some reason,
the
> > Oracle client has gotten messed up. Can I reinstall the client on
the
> > same machine? Will it affect the existing database on that machine?
Do
> > i have to select the same oracle home or a new one?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kirtan
> >

> Please be more specific about "gotten messed up". What are you
trying
> to do and what error do you get? Platform information would help too.
>
> You can do a fresh install of the client-only software in a different

> Oracle home on the same machine, without affecting your existing
> database, but it shouldn't be necessary.
>
> -Mark Bole

actually, I'm working on Crystal Reports 10, and i'm facing a problem
while viewing the reports through the Crystal Reports ActiveX viewer.
It gave the following error :-

Error Num::-2147189172::Failed to load database information. Details:
The database DLL 'crdb_oracle.dll' could not be loaded

I searched for the solution, and it said that the problem lie in the
installation of Oracle Client. And it suggested reinstalling the
client. But in my case, the same machine contains the database. So I
wanted to know whether there would be any problem while installing the
client on that machine.

Thanks for your reply

From: Rauf Sarwar on

kirtan wrote:
> Mark Bole wrote:
> > kirtan wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have Oracle 9i server installed on a machine. For some reason,
> the
> > > Oracle client has gotten messed up. Can I reinstall the client on
> the
> > > same machine? Will it affect the existing database on that
machine?
> Do
> > > i have to select the same oracle home or a new one?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Kirtan
> > >

> > Please be more specific about "gotten messed up". What are you
> trying
> > to do and what error do you get? Platform information would help
too.

> > You can do a fresh install of the client-only software in a
different

> > Oracle home on the same machine, without affecting your existing
> > database, but it shouldn't be necessary.
> >
> > -Mark Bole
>
> actually, I'm working on Crystal Reports 10, and i'm facing a problem
> while viewing the reports through the Crystal Reports ActiveX viewer.
> It gave the following error :-
>
> Error Num::-2147189172::Failed to load database information. Details:
> The database DLL 'crdb_oracle.dll' could not be loaded
>
> I searched for the solution, and it said that the problem lie in the
> installation of Oracle Client. And it suggested reinstalling the
> client. But in my case, the same machine contains the database. So I
> wanted to know whether there would be any problem while installing
the
> client on that machine.
>
> Thanks for your reply

This issue is related to if CR cannot find oci.dll (Oracle Call
Interface). Most likely your ORACLE_HOME\bin is not listed as first
entry in your system path.

Open cmd prompt and type PATH... first entry in the printed path should
be e.g. C:\oracle\ora92\bin;.....

Regards
/Rauf

From: kirtan on
Thanks, I'll try that out. Could the order of installation of Crystal
Reports and Oracle Client. Which should be installed first?