From: ohaya on
Hi,

I have Oracle 9i running on a Solaris 9 system. Yesterday, when trying
to startup one of the database instances using OEM, I was getting an
ORA-27302 error (along with some others). There was also an ORA-27301
error among them.

I tried to diagnose the problem, checking disk space, etc., but that
looked ok. Since the instance wasn't even started, I couldn't even look
at the parameters, etc.

Just on a hunch (and some desparation), I shutdown several of the other
test instances that I noticed were running, and tried to startup the
instance I wanted, and I was surprised to find that it started up ok.

I gather that the original problem actually was due to Oracle running
out of some resource, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how do I
track down which one or ones need to be increased?

I know that the system/kernel parameters were configured per the Oracle
installation guide.

Do I just bump ALL of the parameters up, hoping that that fixes the
situation?

Thanks in advance,
Jim
From: Mary on

From: Mary on
Hi,

Those 'other messages' help narrow down the problem, post them! Could
be semaphores or processes or ?, but I wouldn't like to make changes to
my system based on a guess...

Mary

From: wfholmes on
Check the /etc/system file on your Sun box.

I have used the following parameter values on all Sun boxes where
Oracle databases run with problems:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=800
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=64
*
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=6000
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=65535
set semsys:seminfo_semmap=200
set semsys:seminfo_semmnu=500
set semsys:seminfo_semume=100
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=500

You might compare your settings with these. I do not recommend
blithely setting yours to these values without reviewing what apps
you're running, etc.

From: ohaya on
Hi,

I'm pretty sure that these are what we set:

SEMMNI 100
SEMMNS 1024
SEMMSL 256

SHMMAX 4294967295