From: Jim Adamthwaite on
Hi folks.
On trying to install an RPM (graphiteone-3d-design-2.1-1.rpm) from a hard
disk directory with konqueror (via the magic "Install Package with YaST"
button), I get the message:

Following packages haven't been found on the medium:
graphiteone-3d-design

Is there something I need to set up in Software Repositories? I could not
get it to add a local hard drive directory /home/jim/Downloads as an
installation source either.

I used to get this a lot back in the SUSE 10.x days, then it seemed to go
away. I never found the reason. Now it's back.

Any clues please?
Jim A.
From: Jan Gerrit Kootstra on
Jim Adamthwaite schreef:
> Hi folks.
> On trying to install an RPM (graphiteone-3d-design-2.1-1.rpm) from a hard
> disk directory with konqueror (via the magic "Install Package with YaST"
> button), I get the message:
>
> Following packages haven't been found on the medium:
> graphiteone-3d-design
>
> Is there something I need to set up in Software Repositories? I could not
> get it to add a local hard drive directory /home/jim/Downloads as an
> installation source either.
>
> I used to get this a lot back in the SUSE 10.x days, then it seemed to go
> away. I never found the reason. Now it's back.
>
> Any clues please?
> Jim A.
Jim,

I am not a Yast expert, so I ask you cannot you install it with rpm
commands?

rpm -Uvh graphiteone-3d-design-2.1-1.rpm

Or do you encounter too many dependencies?

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit
From: JT on
On 18/05/10 23:12, Jim Adamthwaite wrote:
> Hi folks.
> On trying to install an RPM (graphiteone-3d-design-2.1-1.rpm) from a hard
> disk directory with konqueror (via the magic "Install Package with YaST"
> button), I get the message:
>
> Following packages haven't been found on the medium:
> graphiteone-3d-design
>
> Is there something I need to set up in Software Repositories? I could not
> get it to add a local hard drive directory /home/jim/Downloads as an
> installation source either.
>
> I used to get this a lot back in the SUSE 10.x days, then it seemed to go
> away. I never found the reason. Now it's back.
>
> Any clues please?
> Jim A.

Hi,

When you start Yast (in a default install: via homemenu-computer-install
software), you can use 'Configuration/Repositories' and add a new
repository. Then you can choose 'Harddisk' as media type and
subsequently check the option 'Plain RPM directory'.

This should do the trick. Of course you should name the directory
somewhere in the process ;-)

One hint: what I normally do is check whether the package is available
from a 'one-click-install' source (try software.opensuse.org/search).
This adds a repository automatically with the advantage that updates
will be signalled through Yast.

--
Kind regards, JT

From: David Bolt on
On Sunday 23 May 2010 13:35, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
>> I am not a Yast expert, so I ask you cannot you install it with rpm
>> commands?
>>
>> rpm -Uvh graphiteone-3d-design-2.1-1.rpm
>>
>> Or do you encounter too many dependencies?
>
> You do not even need to download first
> rpm -Uvh http://example.com/dir/file.rpm
> works just as well.

You can pass multiple URLs to rpm and it will download them all, sort
out the installation order, and then install them.

> However on http://www.graphiteone-cad.com/page_download.php I see
> several RPM files, so it might be needed to install them in a certain
> order.

You only need the graphiteone-3d-design, or that's according to the
package dependencies, although you can also add the other two packages
if desired. The only issue would be with the graphiteone-libs package
which, during a test installation, failed to install on my 64bit 11.2
system:

moray:~ # rpm -Uvh /local/videos/graphiteone-libs-3.1-1-suse111.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
libpython2.6.so.1.0 is needed by graphiteone-libs-3.1-1.i586
libqt-mt.so.3 is needed by graphiteone-libs-3.1-1.i586

While I may have been able solve this by adding the 32bit packages, I
didn't because don't really want to add too much to the system,
especially since I'd be removing it almost straight afterwards.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3M4 32b

From: Malcolm on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 15:26:38 +0100
David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:
> moray:~ # rpm -Uvh /local/videos/graphiteone-libs-3.1-1-suse111.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
> libpython2.6.so.1.0 is needed by graphiteone-libs-3.1-1.i586
> libqt-mt.so.3 is needed by graphiteone-libs-3.1-1.i586
Hi
These days if you use zypper in <some_rpm>, it will pull in any
dependencies automatically.

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default