From: HeyBub on
rf wrote:
> "duckstandard" <duckstand(a)lavabit.com> wrote in message
>>
>> rf wrote:
>>> "duckstandard" <duckstand(a)lavabit.com> wrote in message
>
> What happened when you tried it?
>
>>> Why would you want to do this?
>>
>> For many reason, one just to see if it can be done. Another is to
>> have an install ready to work on and with whatever computer it's put
>> in.
>
> What happened when you tried it?
>
>> Lets say another computer doesn't have a working cd drive,
>
> So install a new bloody CD drive.
>
>> can one
>> start the install where it merely copies files and stop it just
>> before it reboots, and then put it in the other computer without the
>> working cd drive to finish installing and setup on 'that' computer.
>
> A whole lot bloody easlier to simpy install a new CD drive.

In the suggested solution, one has to remove the hard drive and install it
in another machine. Alternatively, one could remove a working CD-drive and
install it in the target machine.

Same amount in removal and installing either way, but the latter seems like
less trouble.

Plus, many folks have a few CD-drives lying about that are not being used
(they were slow, read only, or otherwise demoted).

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Send an email to piracy(a)microsoft.com and they'll help you with this.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: chuckcar on
duckstandard <duckstand(a)lavabit.com> wrote in

> Hi, I was wondering if anybody knows when windows xp registers
> hardware on install. Like this, when you install windows xp it copies
> all the files I assume, then reboots, then installs windows.
>
> I was wondering if I could stop the computer before it reboots, put
> the drive in another computer and resume the install where it may then
> register the motherboard, hardware, and drivers and all that?
>
> I know I have completely stopped the install before it reboots and
> start it and it installs just fine, just haven't moved the hard drive
> to another computer to resume the install. Any thought on this?

You *mean* you want to install XP on two different computers using the
same installation CD. This would require you to read the legal
agreement to *know* under what circumstances this does not voilate the
agreement you have with MS. This could require you to have a version of
that disk that is licenced for *more* than one machine and you *still*
couldn't exceed that number without voilating it of course. This number
is 1 otherwise.

If you've already used all keys and those installations still
exist, then you can't. You're at the limit and have to remove XP from at
least two of those computers.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874

This seems to be MS's method of doing an install with different product
keys - and hence different licences. One machine here product key.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
From: duckstandard on

John Holmes wrote:
> duckstandard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
> > Hi, I was wondering if anybody knows when windows xp registers
> > hardware on install. Like this, when you install windows xp it copies
> > all the files I assume, then reboots, then installs windows.
> >
> > I was wondering if I could stop the computer before it reboots, put
> > the drive in another computer and resume the install where it may then
> > register the motherboard, hardware, and drivers and all that?
> >
> > I know I have completely stopped the install before it reboots and
> > start it and it installs just fine, just haven't moved the hard drive
> > to another computer to resume the install. Any thought on this?
>
> The way to do this properly is:
> Install windows normally, then run "sysprep" to bring the installation in
> a state from which you make an image. Install this image on as many
> harddrives as you desire, put them in as many computers as you'd like and
> on first boot windows setup runs and will install it's native drivers.
> Ofcourse, you'll still need the hardware specific drivers.
> For more info, read this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577
>
> HTH

Sounds about what I am looking for. Thanks. I will take a good look at
it later and attempt to do something with it.
From: The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly Known as Nina DiBoy' on
On 2/27/2010 3:35 AM, duckstandard wrote:

> rf wrote:
>> "duckstandard"<duckstand(a)lavabit.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi, I was wondering if anybody knows when windows xp registers
>>> hardware on install. Like this, when you install windows xp it copies
>>> all the files I assume, then reboots, then installs windows.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if I could stop the computer before it reboots, put
>>> the drive in another computer and resume the install where it may then
>>> register the motherboard, hardware, and drivers and all that?
>>>
>>> I know I have completely stopped the install before it reboots and
>>> start it and it installs just fine, just haven't moved the hard drive
>>> to another computer to resume the install. Any thought on this?
>>
>> Why would you want to do this?
>
> For many reason, one just to see if it can be done. Another is to have
> an install ready to work on and with whatever computer it's put in.
>
> Lets say another computer doesn't have a working cd drive, can one
> start the install where it merely copies files and stop it just before
> it reboots, and then put it in the other computer without the working
> cd drive to finish installing and setup on 'that' computer.

This is the reason I tried this, but it failed. I don't know why, could
be because it was an OEM Dell XP CD and the only other machine available
to load it on was a Compaq. The first part worked fine on the Compaq,
but once I loaded the drive into the Dell and tried to carry on from
there, it would only come up to a black screen with a white blinking
curson in the upper left corner.