From: Ronin on
I realize this isn't exactly what you want, but this I'm pretty sure this
works (I haven't done it in a few years.) Take the HD you're going to
install to, place it into a functioning machine, copy the i386 folder to it,
put the HD back into the machine you're installing, use a bootable floppy or
CD startup disk (from Bootdisk.com for example), then navigate to the i386
folder and run SETUP. I'm sure it's not nearly so simple, but I can't
remember any of the hitches I must have run into.

That Dell CD may be a simple, generic, OEM disk. If so, it will probably
work fine for other systems. I only recall seeing those OEM discs or a
"recovery partition" solution coming from Dell.

--
Ronin

From: Paul Randall on

"The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly Known as Nina DiBoy'"
<me631(a)privacy.com> wrote in message news:hne1hj$r7$1(a)speranza.aioe.org...
> On 2/27/2010 3:35 AM, duckstandard wrote:
>>
>> rf wrote:
>>> "duckstandard"<duckstand(a)lavabit.com> wrote in message

>>> Why would you want to do this?
>>
>> For many reason, one just to see if it can be done. Another is to have
>> an install ready to work on and with whatever computer it's put in.
>>
>> Lets say another computer doesn't have a working cd drive, can one
>> start the install where it merely copies files and stop it just before
>> it reboots, and then put it in the other computer without the working
>> cd drive to finish installing and setup on 'that' computer.
>
> This is the reason I tried this, but it failed. I don't know why, could
> be because it was an OEM Dell XP CD and the only other machine available
> to load it on was a Compaq. The first part worked fine on the Compaq, but
> once I loaded the drive into the Dell and tried to carry on from there, it
> would only come up to a black screen with a white blinking curson in the
> upper left corner.

I'm guessing that there is more going on than "merely copies files" before
that reboot. I'm thinking the only way to find out for sure would be for
someone to use a Dell branded OEM CD to get to that reboot point, on both a
Dell and a Compaq, and then use a binary file/folder tree compare of the two
disks to find the differences. I'm thinking that for sure there will at
least be differences in the registry files and the drivers being used on
that reboot.

-Paul Randall

From: M.L. on

>>> Why would you want to do this?
>>
>> For many reason, one just to see if it can be done. Another is to have
>> an install ready to work on and with whatever computer it's put in.
>>
>> Lets say another computer doesn't have a working cd drive, can one
>> start the install where it merely copies files and stop it just before
>> it reboots, and then put it in the other computer without the working
>> cd drive to finish installing and setup on 'that' computer.

You could use the free WinToFlash http://wintoflash.com/home/en/ to
easily create a full XP/Vista/7 install from a USB stick. It's faster
than installing from a CD and installs just as smoothly, without the
uncertainties of your prospective method. You could use it to install
on any PC that can boot from a USB.