From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on

"James M. Prange" <jmprange(a)i-is.com> wrote in message
> Veli-Pekka Nousiainen wrote:
>> "James M. Prange" <jmprange(a)i-is.com> wrote in message
>>> pressed" menu. Press 4 (Terminal Mode) on the 49G, and then press
>>> any key on the emulator. The emulator should now be at "Xmodem
>>> Server Waiting for command" and the 49G at the "Download" menu. On
>>> the 49G, press 1 (Download System) to commence the download; the
>>> emulator should display "Xmodem Server" with various messages
>> After 4 Terminal mode I only get a blank screen
>> whether the (right type of) cable is plugged or not
>
> Same here; when you get that blank screen, click on a key (I
> normally use SPC for "any key") on the emulator; that should get
> you to the Download menu on the emulator.

I mean my real calculator display blank after Terminal Mode
I can not choose 1 - I tried with two calculators
and I tired with two serial cables
and I tried with two serial ports
8 tries if you can count binary exponents

)/(&%()/"#

> Other than that, I've seen some strange communication problems
> from a loose DB9 connection; apparently okay from the calculator
> to the PC, but not from the PC to the calculator.

I have to try on another PC

From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:12:32 -0600, VPN wrote:

> my real [49G] calculator displays blank after Terminal Mode

As http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/pc/rom/ says:
"Press [4] to select terminal mode. A blank screen appears."

This may be where the 49G awaits receipt of
an initial "four special bytes" on the serial port,
which signifies a proper source from which to accept ROM;
the FDP program (or ROMUPLOAD command) sends these
when told to start the transmission.

Have you first tried any plain old serial file transfer,
to see whether serial communications is working at all?
(if not, then neither will ROM transfer).

[r->] [OFF]
From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:50:38 -0600, James M. Prange wrote:

> What I find remarkable is that a ROM developed for ARM-based models
> works just fine with an older hardware Saturn model.

But the whole idea is that there is *no* ARM code
in the HP part of the ROM -- the new products
are merely vehicles for running an [almost] exact emulator,
just like running an Emu48 clone in your PDA or cell phone;
this is why 49G programs and libraries remain compatible,
and the "system" ROM is, after all, just another set of libraries :)

"Almost" is what imperfectly implements the clock & alarms,
as well as the original keyboard handling,
and also doesn't quite duplicate the display (for grayscale);
Emu48 also doesn't do everything exactly the same, either,
when it comes to hardware, yet it works with any 49G original ROM,
so why wouldn't an ARM-based version of Emu48
be able to do the same?

> the ROM would be suitable for running on the emulator for
> any 49 series, and therefore for transfer to a real 49G. So what's
> left? Add whatever is needed to make it load and run on a real
> ARM-based model, and where it's known that hardware Saturn code
> can be replaced by faster Saturn+ code, make those replacements.

Kinpo supplies hardware and emulator [no matter who wrote it];
HP supplies what runs either on an emulator or on the real thing
that was emulated; these usually come packaged together into one file
for updating the entire new ROM, but occasionally the HP part
is found by itself, especially for use with other emulators.

It all reminds me of an IBM "mainframe" era system called VM/CMS,
which gave each user a "personal [virtual] mainframe,"
which was almost indistinguishable from the real thing,
except for one single mysterious CPU instruction called
"diagnose," which had always been declared "model-dependent";
this one instruction provided a "hook" for some "out of band"
communication between the user's virtual machine and the underlying
real mainframe which time-sliced itself between all users,
in a manner strikingly parallel to how a few originally
"undefined" Saturn codes can now "talk to"
the underlying Kinpo system -- actually, this was already
being done in Emu48, where the "beep" patches invoked
a similar instruction to "fake" the beeping under Windows,
so this idea was around long before the present calcs came to exist.

Eventually, the IBM operating systems which usually
ran on dedicated hardware were augmented to allow them
to rely on the "virtual" system (when present)
to do some functions for them, such as memory management,
which the "core" virtual system was able to do better and faster
than the original OS -- quite similarly, a very few things that occupy
some significant fraction of the Saturn's time while interpreting RPL
can now be done much faster by a "little elf" in native ARM code,
provided that one simply recognizes such a sequence in the
original ROM, and replaces it with some elfish new instruction,
which I suppose could be done after the complete compilation
of the original ROM, just as JMP suggests.

IBM's VM/CMS:
http://www.economicexpert.com/a/VM:CMS.html

Is the "IBM mainframe" still around, some 40 years later?
http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Z:OS.htm
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/

> "Capes"?

"FR: HP49, capes" [Dec 13 2006]
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/browse_frm/thread/5dfba355f8d36aac
http://danny.oz.au/jennifer/visitor/4.teaching.html [in English]
http://www.cidu.de/fr/studieren/abschluesse/capes_agreg_inhalt.html

If the "2.10" which someone anticipated a while back is delayed at HP,
perhaps you can locate something else to play with meanwhile,
if only you are a French math teacher.

-[ ]-
From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on

"John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:12:32 -0600, VPN wrote:
>
>> my real [49G] calculator displays blank after Terminal Mode
>
> As http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/pc/rom/ says:
> "Press [4] to select terminal mode. A blank screen appears."
>
> This may be where the 49G awaits receipt of
> an initial "four special bytes" on the serial port,
> which signifies a proper source from which to accept ROM;
> the FDP program (or ROMUPLOAD command) sends these
> when told to start the transmission.

OK

> Have you first tried any plain old serial file transfer,
> to see whether serial communications is working at all?
> (if not, then neither will ROM transfer).

Thanks!

From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on

"Veli-Pekka Nousiainen" <DROP_vpn(a)dlc.fi> wrote in message

> "John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:12:32 -0600, VPN wrote:
>>
>>> my real [49G] calculator displays blank after Terminal Mode
>>
>> As http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/pc/rom/ says:
>> "Press [4] to select terminal mode. A blank screen appears."
>>
>> This may be where the 49G awaits receipt of
>> an initial "four special bytes" on the serial port,
>> which signifies a proper source from which to accept ROM;
>> the FDP program (or ROMUPLOAD command) sends these
>> when told to start the transmission.
>
> OK

Now it suddenly worked!
Thanks for the "four special bytes" -tip
John the Great!