From: James M. Prange on
parisse(a)domain.invalid wrote:
> > Even Professor Parisse's files include the
>> equation library and periodic table library as external libraries
>> installed in port 2; perhaps he could've done the same his
>> "Spreadsheet" and "Geometry" applications?
>
> No, for some good reasons:
> 1/ the spreadsheet use the MTRW interface, hence some MTRW
> must call the spreadsheet which therefore should be in ROM
> (or you must define a protocol for MTRW/spreadsheet
> communication which is much more complicated)
> 2/ the spreadsheet and geometry have fixed addresses in
> the second CAS bank, that makes calls inside the bank
> shorter in size and faster. Moreover the geometry is an analytic
> geometry application, it is therefore a (new) component of
> the CAS, like e.g. Laplace transform (not for the same users...).
> The geometry commands might be called from the stack, for
> example if you want to compute the coordinates of the intersection
> of a circle and a line, or 2 circles, etc.
> 3/ the main reason why I programmed these additions was for
> the 49 to be allowed at the competition for recruituing
> math teachers in France. Therefore the mandatory addition
> of a geometry application and of a spreadsheet had to be
> inside the ROM, not as an additional library that someone
> might erase by a wrong manipulation.

Fair enough, and thanks for the reply.

I note that you added these without taking away a user bank, as
the equation library did with some ROM revisions, so that's fine.

Any thoughts on whether we'll be seeing these in a future official
HP ROM?

--
Merry Christmas,
James

From: John H Meyers on
On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 21:52:12 -0600, James M. Prange wrote:

[extensive comparison of ROM files :]

Well, I had been thinking to compare what you can see with Nosy,
on an ARM calc vs. on an emulator, but you've gone very far
with analyzing files instead :)

> It may be that some of the potential replacements
> that seem to fit the (limited) pattern
> but weren't done wouldn't actually work.

Why not?

I haven't looked, but I wonder what you'd find
if you tried the "French math teachers test" version,
which I believe has something for calc and something for emulator;
being even more recent, it might have more updates in it
(what VERSION and VER does it say it is?)

> Well, I wouldn't call it "research"; I just happened to notice
> that the time-stamp on the calculator ROM is a little later than
> the time-stamp on the Emu48 ROM. This suggests to me that maybe
> the calculator ROM was made from the Emu48 ROM

Well, it certainly wasn't the reverse :)

> Indeed, all hardware Saturn (or Emu48) code should run
> on the emulated Saturn+ processor in the ARM-based models.

But not vice versa, except for something which tests
whether it's executing on "Saturn" vs. "Saturn+"
(which was designed to work on original Saturn,
as either emulated or the real thing).

Well, I have to go park this reindeer sled which just drove in.
I think you discovered something interesting, and Happy New Year.

[r->] [OFF]
From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 12:08:44 -0600:

> I note that [BP] added [Geometry/Spreadsheet]
> without taking away a user bank, as the equation library did
> with some ROM revisions.

It didn't "take away" a user bank (meaning that it
didn't enlarge ROM and reduce the number of user banks,
as did 49G version 1.19), but it did *overwrite*
the first user bank during each ROM update 2.0 thru thru 2.06,
which was a very crude way of *installing* the equation library
*into* the first user bank (while annoyingly purging any user files
which had the misfortune to have been sharing that same first bank).

It was done that way to force a simultaneous update of the formerly
version-dependent equation library with each ROM update,
but at the cost of sacrificing any confidence
in flash being reliable for permanent user backup and storage;
not a serious problem for anyone who prudently obtained
and used an SD/MMC card as independent secondary backup,
but potentially nerve-wracking for anyone lacking a card
(and possibly also lacking computer file transfer,
which HP officially supports only via a USB driver
and a transfer application for certain Windows versions).

All this is no longer an issue, however, since ROM updates
for 2.08 and later versions confine themselves to overwriting
only the actual ROM banks, and supply the Equation Library
(now version-independent) in the traditional form of separate files,
which you can now optionally install or ignore.

[r->] [OFF]
From: Bernard Parisse on
> Fair enough, and thanks for the reply.
>
> I note that you added these without taking away a user bank, as
> the equation library did with some ROM revisions, so that's fine.
>
> Any thoughts on whether we'll be seeing these in a future official
> HP ROM?

I don't know, it depends on HP.
From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
"Bernard Parisse" <parisse(a)domain.invalid.fr> wrote in message
>> Fair enough, and thanks for the reply.
>>
>> I note that you added these without taking away a user bank, as
>> the equation library did with some ROM revisions, so that's fine.
>>
>> Any thoughts on whether we'll be seeing these in a future official
>> HP ROM?
>>

> I don't know, it depends on HP.

I wish I were the Future Product Manager