From: Risto Lankinen on
On 9 huhti, 20:08, Pubkeybreaker <pubkeybrea...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> > Could you please tell me _WHY_ you think my approach is
> > a dead end?  Based on your own claim, you never dug into
> > the code I sent.
>
> (1) Presenting code only serves to obfuscate the underlying method.
>     If you want to present an algorithm then do so.

Please advice about _HOW_. I've already tried my best.

- Risto -
From: Phil Carmody on
Risto Lankinen <rlankine(a)gmail.com> writes:
> On 9 huhti, 20:08, Pubkeybreaker <pubkeybrea...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Could you please tell me _WHY_ you think my approach is
> > > a dead end? �Based on your own claim, you never dug into
> > > the code I sent.
> >
> > (1) Presenting code only serves to obfuscate the underlying method.
> > � � If you want to present an algorithm then do so.
>
> Please advice about _HOW_. I've already tried my best.

Don't use a low level computer language, use a high level
description, human-readability is more important than it
being a real computer language.

Don't fuss with unimportant implementation details,
work on the principle that the implementation of common
primitives is already well known.

So the description of a simple P-1-like factoring
algorithm would be:

Given integer N
Select a suitable bound B
Take a random integer 2<b<N-1
For each prime p<B
Let b = b^(p^i) modulo N where i is maximal and p^i<=B
If gcd(b-1, N) is 1, repeat with a higher bound
Else if it's N, then repeat with a lower bound
Otherwise, it's a factor of N

No more details than that are required for a high level
description of the algorithm. How to implement modular
exponentiation, for example, is an unimportant implementation
detail.

Phil

--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration
From: Pubkeybreaker on
On Apr 9, 1:15 pm, Risto Lankinen <rlank...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 huhti, 20:08, Pubkeybreaker <pubkeybrea...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>

> > > Could you please tell me _WHY_ you think my approach is
> > > a dead end?  Based on your own claim, you never dug into
> > > the code I sent.
>
> > (1) Presenting code only serves to obfuscate the underlying method.
> >     If you want to present an algorithm then do so.
>
> Please advice about _HOW_.  I've already tried my best.

Yes. Which is why I presented the analogy with medicine.
It is pointless for someone without the requisite knowledge
to try to invent a new surgical procedure. Your reply here
shows that you lack the basic knowledge to do what you are
trying to do.

It would be impossible for me to give a full semester course
on the design and analysis of algorithms with just a few
paragraphs. Pick up a book on algorithms. Read it. See how
algorithms are described. Go back and study basic high school level
mathematics. Learn how to do a proof. Learn about the complexity
of algorithms. And above all, study what has ALREADY been done
concerning whatever field of knowledge it is that you are trying to
expand. Otherwise, you would eternally be trying to reinvent the
wheel
by replacing it with a square wheel.

I'm not trying to be insulting.
From: Risto Lankinen on
On 9 huhti, 21:33, Pubkeybreaker <pubkeybrea...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> > > (1) Presenting code only serves to obfuscate the underlying method.
> > >     If you want to present an algorithm then do so.
>
> > Please advice about _HOW_.  I've already tried my best.
>
> Yes.  Which is why I presented the analogy with medicine.
> It is pointless for someone without the requisite knowledge
> to try to invent a new surgical procedure.  Your reply here
> shows that you lack the basic knowledge to do what you are
> trying to do.

Ad hominem usually indicates lack of material arguments.

But hey, I'm not doing this for you, sir. You've taught me
a lot. Not about math, but about math community! I will
continue enjoying the ride on the passenger seat, where
it is possible to observe the landscape. But you, sir, on
the driver's seat, please keep your eyes on the road.

- Risto -
From: Pubkeybreaker on
On Apr 9, 3:35 pm, Risto Lankinen <rlank...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 huhti, 21:33, Pubkeybreaker <pubkeybrea...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> > > Please advice about _HOW_.  I've already tried my best.
>
> > Yes.  Which is why I presented the analogy with medicine.
> > It is pointless for someone without the requisite knowledge
> > to try to invent a new surgical procedure.  Your reply here
> > shows that you lack the basic knowledge to do what you are
> > trying to do.
>
> Ad hominem usually indicates lack of material arguments.
>
> But hey, I'm not doing this for you, sir.  You've taught me
> a lot.  Not about math, but about math community!

What I said was not an ad hominem attack. It was a simple statement of
fact: You do not know enough mathematics to do what you are trying to
do.

Another hallmark of a crank is that they are not even aware of what it
is
that they don't know.