From: Phil Carmody on
Christian Siebert <iBBiS(a)gmx.de> writes:
> Thank you, Bob and Phil, for your replies!

> > > Not quite. You don't want to use b=p-1 (i.e. -1 mod p)
> >
> > Oooooooooooh. So he's smart enough to spot the out by one
> > error on one end, but then shoots himself in the foot at the
> > other end.
> Good catch! Golly gosh ...
>
> I just asked these questions because I wondered if this modified
> version of Phil's description might be simpler:
>
> Given an odd integer N
> Set b = 2
> Set p^e = 2^1
> As long as N and b-1 are coprime repeat
> Let b = b^p modulo N
> Find next larger prime or prime power p^e

Because that could run for a very long time, and doesn't invite a
stage 2. You've complicated your sieve as well.

> If gcd(b-1, N) equals N then N is prime

Well, that's false for a start. Try factoring Phi(n,2).

> otherwise this is a factor of N

> > > I don't know either. Any b is fine except as already noted.
> >
> > No reason to chose any particular value, no reason to avoid
> > any particular value (apart from a few).
> >
> > Let's meet in the middle - chose a random one.
> When this doesn't give us any benefit, then why should I waste
> entropy? ;-)

Entropy is exceptionally cheap. We have more of it than we want,
and it's just going to waste.

It'll help factoring Phi(n,2) for a start.

> > > It is easy to give an average-case estimate. The probability that
> > > NK-1 is B-smooth is u^-u with u = log(NK-1)/log(B). You would
> > > need to examine u^u values of K on average.
> Ok, although that's still quite a lot, it seems to be feasible (I only
> need to find a single k).
> Unfortunately, this sounds already outside a polytime solution ... :-(
>
> How about inverting a small number a (i.e. a < B) mod N? I'd guess
> this can be done much more efficiently, right (but here I'd need up to
> B of them)?

As worded, it's still O(1), as it's impossible.

Phil
--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration
From: quasi on
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:26:35 -0700 (PDT), Chip Eastham
<hardmath(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Apr 11, 8:23 am, fortune.br...(a)gmail.com wrote:
>
>> You really should get your Google on and see what I'm talking about,
>> and when you do you will also see that Bob (Pubkeybreaker) has a
>> record of not suffering fools easily.
>>
>> It is also very safe to say that he (Pubkeybreaker) has forgotten more
>> about the subject you are on than you will ever know.
>>
>> I recommend you both show some respect and really try hard to see his
>> point.
>
>Am I the only one who feels a curious loss at learning this?
>
>One of my favorite book authors and one of more coherent
>frequent newsgroup contributors turn out to be the same
>person. Somehow I feel I now have fewer folk heroes to
>look up to...

I think you might be confusing two different Silvermans.

I suspect the "author" you alluded to is "Joseph H. Silverman"

quasi
From: Chip Eastham on
On Apr 11, 2:39 pm, quasi <qu...(a)null.set> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:26:35 -0700 (PDT), Chip Eastham
>

> <hardm...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Apr 11, 8:23 am, fortune.br...(a)gmail.com wrote:
>
> >> You really should get your Google on and see what I'm talking about,
> >> and when you do you will also see that Bob (Pubkeybreaker) has a
> >> record of not suffering fools easily.
>
> >> It is also very safe to say that he (Pubkeybreaker) has forgotten more
> >> about the subject you are on than you will ever know.
>
> >> I recommend you both show some respect and really try hard to see his
> >> point.
>
> >Am I the only one who feels a curious loss at learning this?
>
> >One of my favorite book authors and one of more coherent
> >frequent newsgroup contributors turn out to be the same
> >person. Somehow I feel I now have fewer folk heroes to
> >look up to...
>
> I think you might be confusing two different Silvermans.
>
> I suspect the "author" you alluded to is "Joseph H. Silverman"
>
> quasi

Ah, right you are! Equilibrium restored (for now).

--c
From: Tim Smith on
In article
<c0ebbd99-7de9-4ab9-be83-72b38b5b9064(a)c19g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
fortune.bruce(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Pubkeybreaker is Robert Silverman, also known as Bob Silverman, the
> "Prince of Primes".
>
> Robert did seminal work with RSA Labs in the study of the math of
> public keys and both trying to break them and make them safer/
> stronger. I reckon that may be the reason for his handle, but I'm
> guessing.
>
> Robert Silverman is a true math legend. He has likely published more
> important math papers than the amount of years you've been alive. He
> has worked for decades and produced at the highest levels of math and
> crypto in the trenches of real work and discovery in this world.
>
> You really should get your Google on and see what I'm talking about,
> and when you do you will also see that Bob (Pubkeybreaker) has a
> record of not suffering fools easily.
>
> It is also very safe to say that he (Pubkeybreaker) has forgotten more
> about the subject you are on than you will ever know.
>
> I recommend you both show some respect and really try hard to see his
> point.

None of the above, though, is inconsistent with being a jerk.

--
--Tim Smith
From: Marshall on
On Apr 11, 6:49 pm, Tim Smith <reply_in_gr...(a)mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> > [...] has a record of not suffering fools easily. [....]
>
> None of the above, though, is inconsistent with being a jerk.

Every time I have ever seen the phrase "not suffer fools gladly,"
it has been an apologist acknowledgment of a respected person's
bad behavior. It's a code phrase used to describe high
status jerks.

Marshall