From: Lynn McGuire on
Intel 160 GB ssd drive now $425:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167017

OK, this is getting very close to my buy point. Very close.

Lynn

From: Timothy Daniels on
"Lynn McGuire" wrote:
> Intel 160 GB ssd drive now $425:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167017
>
> OK, this is getting very close to my buy point. Very close.
>
> Lynn

Personally, I'd get two (one for the page file). :-)

*TimDaniels*

From: Timothy Daniels on

"Lynn McGuire" wrote:
> Intel 160 GB ssd drive now $425:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167017
>
> OK, this is getting very close to my buy point. Very close.
>
> Lynn

Hmmm.... Does anyone here know if SSDs can be RAIDed at level 0,
i.e. data striped for faster throughput? Would it make any sense to do so?

*TimDaniels*

From: Arno on
Timothy Daniels <NoSpam(a)spammeknot.biz> wrote:

> "Lynn McGuire" wrote:
>> Intel 160 GB ssd drive now $425:
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167017
>>
>> OK, this is getting very close to my buy point. Very close.
>>
>> Lynn

> Hmmm.... Does anyone here know if SSDs can be RAIDed at level 0,
> i.e. data striped for faster throughput? Would it make any sense to do so?

Yes. But they require special controllers or suitable software RAID
for this to make sense. Ordinary RAID controllers were designed with
relatively slow access times and will often perform badly with SSDs.

However, if throughput is your goal, conventional HDDs may perform
similar, at a fraction of the cost.

Incidentially, I have a HDD/SSD RAID1 running under Linux software
RAID, with the HDDs set to be typically only written. Gives SSD
read speeds in practive and HDD write speeds. Perfect for my
application and even better than different brand HDDs in a RAID1
for added reliability.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Timothy Daniels on
"Arno" wrote:
> Timothy Daniels wrote:
>> "Lynn McGuire" wrote:
>>> Intel 160 GB ssd drive now $425:
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167017
>>>
>>> OK, this is getting very close to my buy point. Very close.
>>>
>>> Lynn
>

>> Hmmm.... Does anyone here know if SSDs can be RAIDed at level 0,
>> i.e. data striped for faster throughput? Would it make any sense to do so?
>
> Yes. But they require special controllers or suitable software RAID
> for this to make sense. Ordinary RAID controllers were designed with
> relatively slow access times and will often perform badly with SSDs.
>
> However, if throughput is your goal, conventional HDDs may perform
> similar, at a fraction of the cost.
>
> Incidentially, I have a HDD/SSD RAID1 running under Linux software
> RAID, with the HDDs set to be typically only written. Gives SSD
> read speeds in practive and HDD write speeds. Perfect for my
> application and even better than different brand HDDs in a RAID1
> for added reliability.
>
> Arno

That hybrid RAID system sounds intriguing (out of my league, but
still intriguing). Was all the software/firmware commonly available,
or did you author some of it yourself? Care to share pointers with
others here who might want to do the same or similar?

*TimDaniels*