From: Bert Hyman on
Windows XP Pro SP3

My system doesn't have support for "hot swapping" eSATA, so there's no
eject or "safely remove" option.

Is disabling an eSATA disk a safe alternative? Will the OS and disk
internal cache be flushed?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com
From: Grant on
On 03 Aug 2010 15:02:08 GMT, Bert Hyman <bert(a)iphouse.com> wrote:

>Windows XP Pro SP3
>
>My system doesn't have support for "hot swapping" eSATA, so there's no
>eject or "safely remove" option.
>
>Is disabling an eSATA disk a safe alternative? Will the OS and disk
>internal cache be flushed?

Simply perform a normal shutdown in that case. You need mobo support
for hotswap, can't be reliably faked.

By disabling a disk you're perhaps telling the OS not to care?

Grant.
From: Bert Hyman on
In news:473h56p5fb26as0q8t2oh4mrhm6tnum1ng(a)4ax.com Grant
<omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

> On 03 Aug 2010 15:02:08 GMT, Bert Hyman <bert(a)iphouse.com> wrote:
>
>>Windows XP Pro SP3
>>
>>My system doesn't have support for "hot swapping" eSATA, so there's no
>>eject or "safely remove" option.
>>
>>Is disabling an eSATA disk a safe alternative? Will the OS and disk
>>internal cache be flushed?
>
> Simply perform a normal shutdown in that case. You need mobo support
> for hotswap, can't be reliably faked.

Well, it's an external disk that I'd like to disconnect and move WITHOUT
shutting down the system.

> By disabling a disk you're perhaps telling the OS not to care?

That's what I was wondering: how much "not caring" is going on? Will it
simply discard what's in the OS cache?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com
From: Grant on
On 03 Aug 2010 23:03:19 GMT, Bert Hyman <bert(a)iphouse.com> wrote:

>In news:473h56p5fb26as0q8t2oh4mrhm6tnum1ng(a)4ax.com Grant
><omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
>
>> On 03 Aug 2010 15:02:08 GMT, Bert Hyman <bert(a)iphouse.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Windows XP Pro SP3
>>>
>>>My system doesn't have support for "hot swapping" eSATA, so there's no
>>>eject or "safely remove" option.
>>>
>>>Is disabling an eSATA disk a safe alternative? Will the OS and disk
>>>internal cache be flushed?
>>
>> Simply perform a normal shutdown in that case. You need mobo support
>> for hotswap, can't be reliably faked.
>
>Well, it's an external disk that I'd like to disconnect and move WITHOUT
>shutting down the system.
>
>> By disabling a disk you're perhaps telling the OS not to care?
>
>That's what I was wondering: how much "not caring" is going on? Will it
>simply discard what's in the OS cache?

Turn off write caching? Slow things down a bit, but not so much for
archival storage, that way the data is written before the command
completes. Start from the Device Manager -> disk drive -> device
-> policy -> disable write caching.

Grant.
From: Arno on
Bert Hyman <bert(a)iphouse.com> wrote:
> Windows XP Pro SP3

> My system doesn't have support for "hot swapping" eSATA, so there's no
> eject or "safely remove" option.

> Is disabling an eSATA disk a safe alternative? Will the OS and disk
> internal cache be flushed?

Good question. A classical umount under any Unix includes a hard
flush to disk before it returns. The question here is how well
MS has copied this. Given the number of mistakes they made when
copying other things, I would not depend it doing a flush.

What you can do is get an eSATA controller that is know to
have hot-swap support with your OS.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----