From: JoeDaltonMcGuinty on
Hi,

I was wondering whether Bios chips were processor type dependent or is
it just the Bios program (or is it dependent?). I also have a A7N8X-E
Deluxe (for AMD processor) and I misplaced the BIOS chip. I was
wondering which motherboard has the same or a compatible chip so I can
pull it out.

Thanks for helping.
Mohammed
From: Paul on
JoeDaltonMcGuinty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering whether Bios chips were processor type dependent or is
> it just the Bios program (or is it dependent?). I also have a A7N8X-E
> Deluxe (for AMD processor) and I misplaced the BIOS chip. I was
> wondering which motherboard has the same or a compatible chip so I can
> pull it out.
>
> Thanks for helping.
> Mohammed

This is the chip type in my A7N8X-E Deluxe. I don't see this listed on the
SST site right now, so I had to use the archive to find it.

SST 49LF040
33-4C-NH
0347022-BA

http://web.archive.org/web/20030422003900/www.sst.com/products.xhtml/serial_flash/49/SST49LF040

"The SST49LF040 flash memory devices are designed to interface
with the LPC bus for PC and Internet Appliance application
in compliance with Intel Low Pin Count (LPC) Interface
Specification 1.0. Two interface modes are supported by the
SST49LF040: LPC mode for In-System operation and
Parallel Programming (PP) mode to interface with
programmer equipment."

The datasheet is available here for download.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030422003900/http://www.sst.com/downloads/datasheet/S71213.pdf

*******

There are other chips, which provide Intel FWM (Firmware Hub) interface.
There is more than one interface type for parallel flash.

The 49LF040 uses a 33MHz clock, and you can see the "33" in
the device part number. On some computers, if the clock is not
locked, that clock can increase if the system is overclocked,
and then you might see a report of a "checksum failure". Removing
the overclock can give immediate relief from the error.

If you wish to buy the chip, try badflash.com and tell them
what BIOS file you want flashed into it. That way, it will be
ready to use immediately, when it is delivered to you. No need
to "hot flash" it, or figure out what other motherboards use it.
I doubt you'll find a list of motherboards using that chip
anywhere. Badflash will charge you about $30.

Mouser.com carries flash chips, but that exact chip is likely
no longer being made. If you tried to find a substitute, you'd
have to carefully compare it spec-for-spec, to make sure it
was the same. The bare chip itself, is pretty cheap, and one
that Mouser was selling was $3.47 each. So the chips themselves
are not expensive, but you do have to figure out which chip is
exactly equivalent to the 49LF040 33MHz.

The package type you want is 32 PLCC, to fit the PLCC socket.

Good luck,
Paul
From: KCB on

"JoeDaltonMcGuinty" <mohammed.ouali(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering whether Bios chips were processor type dependent or is
> it just the Bios program (or is it dependent?). I also have a A7N8X-E
> Deluxe (for AMD processor) and I misplaced the BIOS chip. I was
> wondering which motherboard has the same or a compatible chip so I can
> pull it out.
>
> Thanks for helping.
> Mohammed

"misplaced the BIOS chip." Why did you take it out of the motherboard?

From: JoeDaltonMcGuinty on
On May 12, 10:18 pm, "KCB" <bcgc...(a)hootmail.com> wrote:
> "JoeDaltonMcGuinty" <mohammed.ou...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> "misplaced the BIOS chip."  Why did you take it out of the motherboard?

Ok. That's a long story. I opened the motherboard box more than 2
years after I bought it to find out that it won't even POST. I tried
to RMA it but it was too late (according to ASUS). I pulled the chip
out the board to ship it for programming. Unfortunately, the guy
misplaced it.

This purchase was like C$145.00 down the drain, all the way.
From: JoeDaltonMcGuinty on

> This is the chip type in my A7N8X-E Deluxe. I don't see this listed on the
> SST site right now, so I had to use the archive to find it.
>
> SST 49LF040
> 33-4C-NH
> 0347022-BA
>
> Good luck,
>     Paul

Thanks Paul. I actually wrote down the chip part # before I shipped
it. The best and easiest way is to get the same programmed chip.

Thank you anyway for the info.