From: kimiraikkonen on
On Jan 13, 2:08 am, Paul <nos...(a)needed.com> wrote:
> kimiraikkonen wrote:
>
> > Update about AGP warning LED situation:
>
> > The AGP LED lits intermittently / irregularly sometimes in a day, but
> > i can boot up fine and play 3D games, the light isn't stable and isn't
> > steady. Lights intermittently with my 4 year-old graphic card which
> > works fine.
>
> > Should i concern?
>
> We know that something is not working right.
>
> You have two choices. Have a professional shop take it apart
> and try to repair it.
>
> Or continue to use it as it is.
>
> If you don't want to waste money on the machine, continue to
> use it. It is apparent from your description, that "AGP warn"
> cannot turn off your power supply, for some reason, so having
> the LED go on and off, doesn't seem to mean anything at all.
>
> As you've already noted, the LED is on when the AGP slot has
> no card in it. And it isn't supposed to do that. The LED
> should remain off, if no AGP card is present. The transistor
> circuit is supposed to check, by some means, that a card
> is present, before the LED can be enabled. That is what
> it is supposed to do.
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,
I contacted the distribitor and they claimed that the motherboard is
too old to repair, they can't repair. Haven't tested newly, but
sometimes AGP led was lighting on last test for some days ago.
Currently the AGP card is inserted and works well, boots and plays 3D
and at the same time sometimes but not always AGP Led lits
intermittently with no sense.

Additionatly, in last tests which were a few days ago, if there was no
card in the slot, the LED was lighting then i surprised as well and
pressed power button, no boot up, no fan no action. It was doing its
job even there was no card installed :-)

Since then, the AGP card is inserted and works, sometimes but not
always if i touch, poke the card slightly LED goes and goes off for an
instant (a few seconds), sometimes it comes without my hand touch by
itself.

However, in previous messages i mentioned a burn-smoke coming from AGP
card or near place AGP slot, maybe this small was an indication of a
burned AGP warning circuit as some symptoms may refer that.

I hope you aggree and analyzed my symptoms?

However, thanks for your care, it would be good to receive your e-mail
or you can mail me at:

kimiraikkonen85(a)gmail.com that i can learn yours :-)

Regards.
From: ~misfit~ on
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Paul" typed:
> kimiraikkonen wrote:
>> On Jan 11, 1:35 am, "DaveW" <radiat...(a)nuclear.org> wrote:
>>> It sounds like either your motherboard and/or video card are
>>> finally dying after all these years.
>>>
>>> --
>>> --DaveW
>>>
>>> "kimiraikkonen" <kimiraikkone...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Maybe, i don't know maybe someone confirms, should AGP warning LED
>> light up eventhough there's no AGP cards installed or no? (mobo
>> powered-on(stand-by) state)
>
> My understanding of the logic of "AGP warn" is:
>
> If (AGP card is inserted) AND (TYPEDET# = floating) THEN
> Power_Off_System
> That is how it is supposed to work. If no AGP card is plugged in, the
> red LED should stay off. It could be that just the red LED driver is
> defective.
>
> Note that the circuit consists of a couple transistors, some
> resistors, the red LED, and a connection to the TYPEDET#. At least that is
> what
> is on my P4B SDRAM motherboard (one of the first boards with AGP
> protection).
> The board would not be able to power up, if that circuit detects a
> problem. The circuit should not be enabled, if no AGP card is present.
> When an AGP card is put in place, then the transistor circuit is
> supposed to test the state of the TYPEDET# pin. TYPEDET# is supposed
> to be grounded - that indicates the video card is using 1.5V for VIO
> in the AGP slot.
>
> I would not panic, if the video card has been working for some time.
> It is unlikely that something has changed about TYPEDET#. The VIO
> regulation on the motherboard is also unlikely to respond to TYPEDET#
> floating, and should deliver a steady 1.5V.
>
> So don't worry about it. Just an annoyance.
>
> As for the Standby LED, it is supposed to be always illuminated. On
> Asus motherboards, it is connected directly to +5VSB, as a monitor.
> You aren't supposed to pull cards or RAM out of the motherboard, if
> the green LED is lit. The green LED is there, to warn you to turn off
> the power supply, before doing any work inside the computer.
>
> Paul

Doesn't anyone spray CO cleaner liberally into the slot that's giving
trouble these days, then check the card contacts, clean with a new eraser if
needed and maybe do a few insertion cycles? I find that usually fixes
AGP/PCIe problems (and a lot of RAM problems too). They're prone to getting
dust creep into the slot as they're often getting a lot of turbulence from
the CPU fan.
--

Shaun.

From: ~misfit~ on
Somewhere on teh intarweb "kimiraikkonen" typed:

> Thanks for taking care and good explanations. Here is the current
> situation:
>
> Existing AGP card is inserted, mobo boots up and comes to Windows with
> no problem, but the AGP warning led is not stable, after some computer
> operation it begins to lit for some reason, if i remove and re-insert
> card, it doesn't lit. But during normal operation it doesn't lit for a
> while, then suddenly it lits but this light has no effect on graphic
> or other computer operation. I can play 3D games and surf Windows but
> sometimes the screen may go off and come off for a short time.(don't
> know the reason also).
>
> Additionaly, another interesting point, if i press or touch the AGP
> card slightly with my fingers while it's inserted and operating on
> Windows, "sometimes" but not always AGP warning led comes and goes for
> an instant. I mean i don't it's a fluky/chance that when i touch the
> seated card to make sure it's completely seated, AGP warning LED lits
> for a time. But this is rare.
>
> However, the burn smoke on VGA card's GPU is not present, but after
> some testing i can report if additional problems occurs about
> displaying.
>
> Never had such problems with that good mobo so far, I trusted Asus
> components over the years, today i'm so surprised because of an
> unknown hardware reason.

See my previous post. I find that often dirty contacts can cause all sorts
of problems. Spray CO cleaner liberally into the slot (power cord removed!)
until it runs out. It can't hurt to try, just cost a few bucks for the CO
cleaner.
--

Shaun.

From: ~misfit~ on
Somewhere on teh intarweb "kimiraikkonen" typed:

> However, thanks for your care, it would be good to receive your e-mail
> or you can mail me at:

<snip>

It is good to keep these discussions in the newsgroup rather than go to
email. I've been following this topic with interest and would be very
disappointed if it were to go private now. You never know when a similar
situation could arise for someone else and what's read here could help them
resolve it.

Cheers,
--

Shaun.

From: kimiraikkonen on
On Jan 13, 12:04 pm, kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkone...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2:08 am, Paul <nos...(a)needed.com> wrote:
>

> > kimiraikkonen wrote:
>
> > > Update about AGP warning LED situation:
>
> > > The AGP LED lits intermittently / irregularly sometimes in a day, but
> > > i can boot up fine and play 3D games, the light isn't stable and isn't
> > > steady. Lights intermittently with my 4 year-old graphic card which
> > > works fine.
>
> > > Should i concern?
>
> > We know that something is not working right.
>
> > You have two choices. Have a professional shop take it apart
> > and try to repair it.
>
> > Or continue to use it as it is.
>
> > If you don't want to waste money on the machine, continue to
> > use it. It is apparent from your description, that "AGP warn"
> > cannot turn off your power supply, for some reason, so having
> > the LED go on and off, doesn't seem to mean anything at all.
>
> > As you've already noted, the LED is on when the AGP slot has
> > no card in it. And it isn't supposed to do that. The LED
> > should remain off, if no AGP card is present. The transistor
> > circuit is supposed to check, by some means, that a card
> > is present, before the LED can be enabled. That is what
> > it is supposed to do.
>
> > Paul
>
> Hi Paul,
> I contacted the distribitor and they claimed that the motherboard is
> too old to repair, they can't repair. Haven't tested newly, but
> sometimes AGP led was lighting on last test for some days ago.
> Currently the AGP card is inserted and works well, boots and plays 3D
> and at the same time sometimes but not always AGP Led lits
> intermittently with no sense.
>
> Additionatly, in last tests which were a few days ago, if there was no
> card in the slot, the LED was lighting then i surprised as well and
> pressed power button, no boot up, no fan no action. It was doing its
> job even there was no card installed :-)
>
> Since then, the AGP card is inserted and works, sometimes but not
> always if i touch, poke the card slightly LED goes and goes off for an
> instant (a few seconds), sometimes it comes without my hand touch by
> itself.
>
> However, in previous messages i mentioned a burn-smoke coming from AGP
> card or near place AGP slot, maybe this small was an indication of a
> burned AGP warning circuit as some symptoms may refer that.
>
> I hope you aggree and analyzed my symptoms?
>
> However, thanks for your care, it would be good to receive your e-mail
> or you can mail me at:
>
> kimiraikkone...(a)gmail.com that i can learn yours :-)
>
> Regards.

Paul,
The latest situation:

About AGP LED problem: Sometimes the AGP warning LED doensn't light
for a long time, sometimes it lits by itself without touching the
card, and this light is usually intermittent and not so bright.

And.. touching this card usually is not the reason, because usually it
lits by itself. But although this, there's no error message or problem
during 3d or graphic operation that card was my existing card for many
years has a full compatability with +1.5V. And this intermittent LED
sometimes goes off if i plug out power cord and re-plug it etc...

About monitor problem: The screen frequently goes off and comes back
usually after i slap ad punch it :-) sometimes screen comes less than
5 seconds sometimes i need to punch the monitor, i don't there's a
relationship between my 10 year old CRT monitor and this AGP led
problem.

Shaun, meanwhile, the only cleaner equipment i have is a Philips
contact spray but don't think it'll make things better.

However i want to ask about my AGP LED, besides my old monitors self
problem:

Is there a hardware danger indication while this light is lighting
intermittently / irregularly? Paul has said it's worthless at the
moment and just an annoyance, still you agree?

I hope you help.

Thanks.