From: kimiraikkonen on
Hi,
I have Asus P4B533 working for many years with no problem till
recently. I had some graphic card-related problems then after next
boot ups display didn't come or flickering occured.

However now, the display is provided but AGP warning LED lighted up
but the most interesting thing is that also standby (green) led lights
up also at the same time during operation.

The graphic card is also Asus V8170DDR (old) is being used without any
AGP warning LED problem since first day of purchase.

So, please help for these questions:
1-What is the reason of red AGP warning LED + standby LED + good
display operation at the same time?

2-If i remove this fully AGP compatible card from AGP slot, also red
AGP warning LED lights up. Why?

Note: My graphic card which is Asus V8170DDR/SE Geforce4 MX440 is
fully compatible with +1.5V AGP specification and was working with no
problem until recently.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
From: DaveW on
It sounds like either your motherboard and/or video card are finally dying
after all these years.

--
--DaveW

From: kimiraikkonen on
On Jan 11, 1:35 am, "DaveW" <radiat...(a)nuclear.org> wrote:
> It sounds like either your motherboard and/or video card are finally dying
> after all these years.
>
> --
> --DaveW
>
> "kimiraikkonen" <kimiraikkone...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
> > I have Asus P4B533 working for many years with no problem till
> > recently. I had some graphic card-related problems then after next
> > boot ups display didn't come or flickering occured.
>
> > However now, the display is provided but AGP warning LED lighted up
> > but the most interesting thing is that also standby (green) led lights
> > up also at the same time during operation.
>
> > The graphic card is also Asus V8170DDR (old) is being used without any
> > AGP warning LED problem since first day of purchase.
>
> > So, please help for these questions:
> > 1-What is the reason of red AGP warning LED + standby LED + good
> > display operation at the same time?
>
> > 2-If i remove this fully AGP compatible card from AGP slot, also red
> > AGP warning LED lights up. Why?
>
> > Note: My graphic card which is Asus V8170DDR/SE Geforce4 MX440 is
> > fully compatible with +1.5V AGP specification and was working with no
> > problem until recently.
>
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> > Regards.- Hide quoted text -

Maybe, i don't know maybe someone confirms, should AGP warning LED
light up eventhough there's no AGP cards installed or no? (mobo
powered-on(stand-by) state)
From: Marcus Coles on
kimiraikkonen wrote:
> On Jan 11, 1:35 am, "DaveW" <radiat...(a)nuclear.org> wrote:
>> It sounds like either your motherboard and/or video card are finally dying
>> after all these years.
>>
>> --
>> --DaveW
>>
>> "kimiraikkonen" <kimiraikkone...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Hi,
>>> I have Asus P4B533 working for many years with no problem till
>>> recently. I had some graphic card-related problems then after next
>>> boot ups display didn't come or flickering occured.
>>> However now, the display is provided but AGP warning LED lighted up
>>> but the most interesting thing is that also standby (green) led lights
>>> up also at the same time during operation.
>>> The graphic card is also Asus V8170DDR (old) is being used without any
>>> AGP warning LED problem since first day of purchase.
>>> So, please help for these questions:
>>> 1-What is the reason of red AGP warning LED + standby LED + good
>>> display operation at the same time?
>>> 2-If i remove this fully AGP compatible card from AGP slot, also red
>>> AGP warning LED lights up. Why?
>>> Note: My graphic card which is Asus V8170DDR/SE Geforce4 MX440 is
>>> fully compatible with +1.5V AGP specification and was working with no
>>> problem until recently.
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>> Regards.- Hide quoted text -
>
> Maybe, i don't know maybe someone confirms, should AGP warning LED
> light up eventhough there's no AGP cards installed or no? (mobo
> powered-on(stand-by) state)

My guess, bad capacitors either tops bulged (not flat) or leaking from
base, check for brown crud, pay close attention to the larger ones for
power regulation, around the CPU and the ones adjacent to the AGP slot.

Marcus

From: Paul on
kimiraikkonen wrote:
> On Jan 11, 1:35 am, "DaveW" <radiat...(a)nuclear.org> wrote:
>> It sounds like either your motherboard and/or video card are finally dying
>> after all these years.
>>
>> --
>> --DaveW
>>
>> "kimiraikkonen" <kimiraikkone...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Hi,
>>> I have Asus P4B533 working for many years with no problem till
>>> recently. I had some graphic card-related problems then after next
>>> boot ups display didn't come or flickering occured.
>>> However now, the display is provided but AGP warning LED lighted up
>>> but the most interesting thing is that also standby (green) led lights
>>> up also at the same time during operation.
>>> The graphic card is also Asus V8170DDR (old) is being used without any
>>> AGP warning LED problem since first day of purchase.
>>> So, please help for these questions:
>>> 1-What is the reason of red AGP warning LED + standby LED + good
>>> display operation at the same time?
>>> 2-If i remove this fully AGP compatible card from AGP slot, also red
>>> AGP warning LED lights up. Why?
>>> Note: My graphic card which is Asus V8170DDR/SE Geforce4 MX440 is
>>> fully compatible with +1.5V AGP specification and was working with no
>>> problem until recently.
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>> Regards.- Hide quoted text -
>
> Maybe, i don't know maybe someone confirms, should AGP warning LED
> light up eventhough there's no AGP cards installed or no? (mobo
> powered-on(stand-by) state)

My understanding of the logic of "AGP warn" is:

If (AGP card is inserted) AND (TYPEDET# = floating) THEN Power_Off_System

That is how it is supposed to work. If no AGP card is plugged in, the
red LED should stay off. It could be that just the red LED driver is
defective.

Note that the circuit consists of a couple transistors, some resistors,
the red LED, and a connection to the TYPEDET#. At least that is what is
on my P4B SDRAM motherboard (one of the first boards with AGP protection).

The board would not be able to power up, if that circuit detects a
problem. The circuit should not be enabled, if no AGP card is present.
When an AGP card is put in place, then the transistor circuit is
supposed to test the state of the TYPEDET# pin. TYPEDET# is supposed
to be grounded - that indicates the video card is using 1.5V for VIO in
the AGP slot.

I would not panic, if the video card has been working for some time.
It is unlikely that something has changed about TYPEDET#. The VIO
regulation on the motherboard is also unlikely to respond to TYPEDET#
floating, and should deliver a steady 1.5V.

So don't worry about it. Just an annoyance.

As for the Standby LED, it is supposed to be always illuminated. On
Asus motherboards, it is connected directly to +5VSB, as a monitor.
You aren't supposed to pull cards or RAM out of the motherboard, if
the green LED is lit. The green LED is there, to warn you to turn off
the power supply, before doing any work inside the computer.

Paul