From: Steve Howard on
So we have had a severity 1 SR open with Oracle since midnight Sunday
morning. The bug has a note that has been on MOS since March 2009 for
10.2.0.4 (the version we are running), yet there was no patch. The
only workaround without a patch is to move the table to a different
tablespace. We have had almost zero feedback from Oracle since
Sunday, and had to rebuild an additional table on Wednesday due to the
same issue, requiring almost a six hour outage in total over the week.

The issue itself has to do with space reclamation in a LOB, Doc ID
783593.1

We just got the patch about three hours ago. Here is the response
from Oracle support.

/***************

Hi,

The patch is now available and can be downloaded from:

http://updates.oracle.com/download/**************

Please apply the patch and confirm whether the problem is resolved. As
this is a severity 1 request, I would expect the patch to be applied
within the next few hours.

Regards,
*********

I am at a loss for words. I'm amazed as I watch Oracle destroy in
about three years a reputation built up over the last 25 years.

World Class support? Isn't this the argument they use every time they
buy someone? I can't help but literally laugh every time I read that.
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:41:56 -0700, Steve Howard wrote:

> I am at a loss for words.

Well, the document that you referred us to, instructs us to apply
10.2.0.5. Do that and all your problems will go away.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: joel garry on
On Apr 23, 10:51 am, Mladen Gogala <n...(a)email.here.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:41:56 -0700, Steve Howard wrote:
> > I am at a loss for words.
>
> Well, the document that you referred us to, instructs us to apply
> 10.2.0.5. Do that and all your problems will go away.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

I expect that the obscured link in the OP was a backport patch. I'm
not so sure 25 years of reputation is blown away by a slightly brusque
restatement of sev 1 in an SR notification. Did I miss something?
Has something changed in the last 3 years that hasn't happened over
and over again?

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
It's not like Larry is as arrogant as a power company.
From: Steve Howard on
On Apr 23, 5:30 pm, joel garry <joel-ga...(a)home.com> wrote:

> I expect that the obscured link in the OP was a backport patch.  I'm not so sure 25 years of reputation is blown away by a slightly brusque restatement of sev 1 in an SR notification.

25 years was a guess as to when Oracle started to gain a real foothold
in the industry, so that may be off. However, if I listed every issue
we have had with Oracle support in the last three years, then yes, it
has been.

> Did I miss something? Has something changed in the last 3 years that hasn't happened over and over again?

There was a time that Oracle support (for me, anyway) was rock solid.
That time ended about three years ago.

Hopefully your experience has been/will be different.
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:41:31 -0700, Steve Howard wrote:

> There was a time that Oracle support (for me, anyway) was rock solid.
> That time ended about three years ago.

Yes, the time ended approximately with the advent of Oracle 10g. I
believe that this was the 1st version not supervised by Ken Jacobs.
He's now managing InnoDB, which is, effectively, a retirement.

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/Spokespeople/016285

Sic transit gloria mundi.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com