From: Willem van Rumpt on
On 21-5-2010 21:04, Steve Ricketts wrote:

> namespace Velocedge.CADE.Video.VLC
> {
> public class clsVideoVLC<PlayStateArgs> : IVideo

You don't want to define a generic clsVideoVLC<PlayStateArgs> class,
you want to define a clsVideoVLC class. This should be:

public class clsVideoVLC : IVideo

> public event EventHandler PlayStateEvent;

This should be defined as
public event EventHandler<PlayStateArgs> PlayStateEvent;

The entire definition of clsVideo should look like this:

public class clsVideoVLC : IVideo
{

public clsVideoVLC ()
{
}

#region playState Event
protected virtual void onPlayStateEvent(PlayStateArgs e)
{
EventHandler<PlayStateArgs> handler = PlayStateEvent;
if (handler != null)
{
handler(this, e);
}
}
public void doPlayState(string strData)
{
PlayStateArgs e = new PlayStateArgs(strData);
onPlayStateEvent(e);
}
#endregion

public event EventHandler<PlayStateArgs> PlayStateEvent;
}

Depending if you have the right "using" statement on top or not,
"PlayStateArgs" and "IVideo" may need to be prepended with the full
namespace:
"Velocedge.CADE.Video."

--
Willem van Rumpt
From: Steve Ricketts on
Man, I really apologize for taking so much of your time to help such an
obvious dunce. As you have probably guessed by your comments on namespaces,
they were a problem. I'm getting killed by them...

In the interface class I was using Velocedge.CADE.Video
In the clsVideoVLC class I was using Velocedge.CADE.Video.VLC

On the statement "public class clsVideoVLC : IVideo"

It gives me "type or namespace IVideo could not be found"

So, I change it to "public class clsVideoVLC : Velocedge.CADE.Video.IVideo"
and after the last "." it shows "IVideo" so I think I'm good.

But, it gives me "type or namespace IVideo does not exist in the namespace
Velocedge.CADE.Video".

Ok, I give up on fancy namespaces and change all namespaces to
Velocedge.CADE.

Only now I get "type or namespace IVideo does not exist in the namespace
Velocedge.CADE" regardless whether I use IVideo or Velocedge.CADE.IVideo

Sorry...

From: Steve Ricketts on
Ok, forget that last post... somehow I finally got the clsVideoVLC
(namespace Velocedge.CADE.Video.VLC) and clsVideo (namespace
Velocedge.CADE.Video) to build. So, then I tried to use them in a test
program (.exe). I added both .dll's as references and included the two
using directives:

using Velocedge.CADE.Video;
using Velocedge.CADE.Video.VLC;

However, I'm getting "The type or namespace 'VLC' does not exist in the
namespace 'Velocedge.CADE.Video'. So, does that mean I need some sort of
namespace reference to VLC within my clsVideo (Velocedge.CADE.Video) class?

sr

From: Peter Duniho on
Steve Ricketts wrote:
> Ok, forget that last post... somehow I finally got the clsVideoVLC
> (namespace Velocedge.CADE.Video.VLC) and clsVideo (namespace
> Velocedge.CADE.Video) to build. So, then I tried to use them in a test
> program (.exe). I added both .dll's as references and included the two
> using directives:
>
> using Velocedge.CADE.Video;
> using Velocedge.CADE.Video.VLC;
>
> However, I'm getting "The type or namespace 'VLC' does not exist in the
> namespace 'Velocedge.CADE.Video'. So, does that mean I need some sort
> of namespace reference to VLC within my clsVideo (Velocedge.CADE.Video)
> class?

That depends on where you're getting the error. Each assembly needs a
reference to whatever other assembly contains types it uses.

The error is telling you literally what it says. The namespace doesn't
exist, as far as is known when compiling that assembly. That can happen
because it really doesn't exist, because there are no public types in
the namespace, or because you have failed to reference as assembly that
contains public types in that namespace.

Without more specific information from you (i.e. the exact code, what
DLLs that code exists in, and which assembly you're compiling when the
error occurs), there's not much else that can be said. It's a pretty
straightforward error.

Pete