From: John on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 12:48:13 +0100, Peter Johnson
<peter(a)nospam.narrowgaugeuk.co.uk> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 May 2010 20:19:20 -0400, John <fakeaddress(a)nowhere.com>
>wrote:
>
>>My computer has begun to exhibit some seriously flaky behavior lately
>>and I'm looking for some help in trying to figure out what's wrong.
>>

>I think I'd be inclined to look at the PSU.

What would you look for? And how would you look?

John
Reply-to address is real
From: John on
On Sat, 22 May 2010 10:13:55 +0200, TJ <-@-> wrote:

>try a live cd of any linux distribution (ie: fedora, ubuntu...) and play
>with it some time and see if it hangs like windows. If it doesnt you can
>think about a fresh windows installation and if linux hangs it maybe a
>hardware issue.
>
>---
>
>TJ :O)

Thanks for the thought, but given the intermittent nature of the
problem it seems unlikely that a brief period of playing with Linux
would trigger the problem. And if it turned out to be hardware (which
is what I'm suspecting) it would leave me no closer to knowing what
part of the hardware. I may try your suggestion if I can't come up
with anything else, but I'm hoping for something more direct.

John
Reply-to address is real
From: John on
On Sat, 22 May 2010 18:58:31 -0500, "Homer Jay Simpson"
<hjsimpson(a)springfield.net> wrote:

>Have you looked at your System Event log in the Event Viewer to determine if
>there were any Error events and the Source of that error?
>
>It might be a Service that has failed to start.

The event log shows some warnings and errors but they nearly all seem
to be related to DHCP and apparently are non-fatal. And none of them
occur near the time of the last two lockups (which I happen to
remember).

John
Reply-to address is real
From: John on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 12:25:35 -0700, "Bob F" <bobnospam(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Have you thouroughly cleaned all the heatsinks and fans, and checked all the
>fans are operating? This should include the display card.

Yes, actually that was the first thing I thought of. No luck, though.

>Try running the memory test program memtest86+.

Okay, I'll try that

>Do you let it send crash info to microsoft? Sometime my system has come back
>with useful info in response after a crash.

It never came up with the message offering to report the problem. It
just locks, then I have to reboot, and then it works quite normally
after that and acts like it doesn't know anything went wrong.

John
Reply-to address is real
From: mendmycomputer on

You could try removing any external USB devices you have plugged in.