From: Puddin' Man on

I have a new system with fresh Win7 install on new P7H55D-M EVO build. Have
added drivers etc from Asus DVD. Have plugged in a single output from sound
connector to speakers, which are working.

I constantly get a message:

"You just unplugged a device from the audio jack"

and a screen for:

"(Asus) Realtec HD Audio Mngr."

It has popped up about 14kk times now and I can't determine how to get rid of it.
I'm trying to config a new system and this garbage makes it impossible. I close
the screen, it pops back up immediately.

Any help much appreciated.

From: Paul on
Puddin' Man wrote:
> I have a new system with fresh Win7 install on new P7H55D-M EVO build. Have
> added drivers etc from Asus DVD. Have plugged in a single output from sound
> connector to speakers, which are working.
>
> I constantly get a message:
>
> "You just unplugged a device from the audio jack"
>
> and a screen for:
>
> "(Asus) Realtec HD Audio Mngr."
>
> It has popped up about 14kk times now and I can't determine how to get rid of it.
> I'm trying to config a new system and this garbage makes it impossible. I close
> the screen, it pops back up immediately.
>
> Any help much appreciated.

What do you have connected to your AAFP header ?

If you've connected a cable assembly to it, remove it
and retest. Did the dialog boxes stop ?

Paul
From: Puddin' Man on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 21:13:47 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:

>What do you have connected to your AAFP header ?

Semantics again. Whazza "header"?

There are 2 strange looking ports on the case front panel. They evidently wire to
"Front panel audio connector (10-1 pin AAFP)" on motherboard.

I had incorrectly connected the HDA lead. Switched it to legacy AC97, spec'd
similar in bios, and the Asus-Garbage went away. The only speakers are part of an
old Optiquest LCD monitor that I'm using for testing.

Now the sound icon (Win7) sez "No output device is installed". Not sure if I
have sound. Still, it's better than 'twere.

Thanks,

From: Paul on
Puddin' Man wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 2010 21:13:47 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:
>
>> What do you have connected to your AAFP header ?
>
> Semantics again. Whazza "header"?
>
> There are 2 strange looking ports on the case front panel. They evidently wire to
> "Front panel audio connector (10-1 pin AAFP)" on motherboard.
>
> I had incorrectly connected the HDA lead. Switched it to legacy AC97, spec'd
> similar in bios, and the Asus-Garbage went away. The only speakers are part of an
> old Optiquest LCD monitor that I'm using for testing.
>
> Now the sound icon (Win7) sez "No output device is installed". Not sure if I
> have sound. Still, it's better than 'twere.
>
> Thanks,

Have you checked Device Manager ?

Is the driver for the RealTek audio already installed ?

If you're not sure, you can

1) Use the motherboard CD, to install a Windows 7 audio driver.

or

2) Go to the Asus site and download the driver from there.
It is pretty big (74 or 92 MB or so). When the dialog pops up from
this page, select "Windows 7" to get appropriate drivers. Look
in the "Audio" section.

http://support.asus.com.tw/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P7H55D-M%20EVO

or

3) Go to the RealTek site, and download a driver for the audio there.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

Select "HDAudio" to match the hardware connection between the RealTek
chip and the rest of the motherboard.

One of the files is about 60MB.

If this was some other version of Windows, I might go to the Sound
Control Panel, and see what hardware devices are listed as candidates
as sound output devices. Sometimes, there can be more than one
device there, such as your HDaudio motherboard sound, audio-over-HDMI
on the video card, and so on. Selecting the wrong audio device,
causes all sound samples to flow over the wrong hardware interface,
and then you can't hear them. So once the RealTek driver is installed,
you still need to verify the Windows settings themselves, to make
sure the sound samples go to the RealTek HDAudio chip.

Paul
From: Anssi Saari on
Puddin' Man <puddingDOTman(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 23 May 2010 21:13:47 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:
>
>>What do you have connected to your AAFP header ?
>
> Semantics again. Whazza "header"?

Often a bunch of pins on a PCB are called a header. Since it's just
pins, it's hardly a connector. Unless you ask marketing :)