From: Paul on
Anssi Saari wrote:
> Puddin' Man <puddingDOTman(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 23 May 2010 21:13:47 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What do you have connected to your AAFP header ?
>> Semantics again. Whazza "header"?
>
> Often a bunch of pins on a PCB are called a header. Since it's just
> pins, it's hardly a connector. Unless you ask marketing :)

It is a common term.

(Some connector bodies here, to plug to a motherboard)

http://www.frontx.com/order_c.html

If you were making a motherboard, you can see "PCB Header Pins" here.

http://www.connectworld.net/cgi-bin/dataw/HD1X03

The connector engineer at work, might have referred to
"pin and box" technology. But "header pins" to me,
seems an effective description as well.

Paul
From: "nobody >" on
On 5/24/2010 9:14 PM, Paul wrote:

> It is not clear to me, how the BIOS setting, relates to a feature
> like that. Whether the RealTek control panel overrides the BIOS choice,
> or the BIOS choice also has its influence. In any case, "Disable Front
> Panel
> jack detection" is consistent with AC'97 wiring to the front panel audio
> header.
>
> The main thing is, you know you can stop the dialog boxes now :-)
>
> Paul

I had similar problems on a brand-new ASUS M4A78T-E and Win7.
(HD Audio but Radion/ATI)
Before "really checking out the audio", I plugged in the driver CD that
came with the board. Big mistake! The drivers on the CD were XP-level,
dated prior to Win7 release. Even the drivers off the ASUS website were
"ancient". The worst part was that those also installed an *unnecessary"
ASUS "HD Audio" app that was bogusly ineffective, and caused many
startup issues.

I went to ATI's website and downloaded the "reference" drivers (no app)
on that installation. Problem solved.

I screwed up that install by not enumerating ACHPI in BIOS. I couldn't
safely hot-swap my plug-in SATA drives without ACHPI. Enabling it in
BIOS caused a "no-boot". There are fixes, but a reinstall actually was
faster (and safer).

LO and behold, the HD Radion/ATI Audio has "native' drivers for it, and
the source was ATI/Radion..

2.1 and all the higher modes worked just fine, and it was possible to do
"jack reassign" as well.

From: Puddin' Man on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 13:17:00 +0100, "Rob" <noone(a)nowhere.noway.com> wrote:

>I'm afraid all manufacturers have out of date drivers on their installation
>CDs. You eventually learn to never use the CD and always download the
>latest drivers direct from the motherboard manufacters support site instead.
>Most other manufacters CDs are in fact much more out of date than the ones
>Asus supply.

I expected out of date drivers.

From Asus, I didn't expect Mutantly Dysfunctional software. But that's
what I got.

Like you say, I'll know better next time.

From: Puddin' Man on
Just a quick note on this problem. There are maybe 50-some pages of dialog, etc
on the issue (Garbage-Software in my little book) here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/3756-latest-realtek-hd-audio-driver-version.html

Lots and lots of folks got stung, unbelievable hours wasted.

Primary responsibility rests with Reaktek, but Asus is definitely an
accomplice.

Prost,

From: KCB on

"Puddin' Man" <puddingDOTman(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Just a quick note on this problem. There are maybe 50-some pages of
> dialog, etc
> on the issue (Garbage-Software in my little book) here:
>
> http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/3756-latest-realtek-hd-audio-driver-version.html
>
> Lots and lots of folks got stung, unbelievable hours wasted.
>
> Primary responsibility rests with Reaktek, but Asus is definitely an
> accomplice.
>
> Prost,
>
> On Thu, 27 May 2010 11:37:46 -0500, Puddin' Man <puddingDOTman(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 27 May 2010 13:17:00 +0100, "Rob" <noone(a)nowhere.noway.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm afraid all manufacturers have out of date drivers on their
>>>installation
>>>CDs. You eventually learn to never use the CD and always download the
>>>latest drivers direct from the motherboard manufacters support site
>>>instead.
>>>Most other manufacters CDs are in fact much more out of date than the
>>>ones
>>>Asus supply.
>>
>>I expected out of date drivers.
>>
>>From Asus, I didn't expect Mutantly Dysfunctional software. But that's
>>what I got.
>>
>>Like you say, I'll know better next time.

>>"Law Without Equity Is No Law At All. It Is A Form Of Jungle Rule."
>
> "Law Without Equity Is No Law At All. It Is A Form Of Jungle Rule."

I have a P6X58D PREMIUM with Realtek HD, using a Cooler Master HAF 932 case.
I set the audio in BIOS to HD, plugged the front panel wires in, and it has
worked with no problems. Win7 Professional - 64 bit. The drivers were
latest available from ASUS when I built the machine. I rarely use the CD
sent with hardware because they're usually outdated.