From: DaveJ on
Further to the above :

Under "Services", if I attempt a manual start of the Windows Firewall/
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service, I get "Error 2 : The system cannot
find the specified file." I will need help to determine what the missing
file might be (can copy from another system if it is a standard Windows XP
file).

I also noted that a number of other servvices were not started :
Network location Awareness
Peer Name Resolution Protocol
Peer Networking
Attempting to start each manually resulted in the error message "Error 1068
The dependency service or group failed to start"
All appear to need Peer Networking Identity Manager, which seems to have all
teh services it needs but also depends on "Microsoft IPv6 Protocol driver"
which needs TCP/IP Protocol driver and IPSEC driver. I have no idea if these
are functioning correctly but I did try to remove, reboot and reinstall the
"Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6" Windows networking component - this had no
affect. I also tried unchecking the "Microsoft TCP/IP version 6" box on the
network connection, intending to rely only on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
but this had no affect either.

I would conclude that either there is a damaged file which is not being
replaced during uninstalls/ reinstalls and repairs, else something is
blocking some key processes.

Full scans with both Norton AntiVirus and Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta, latest
definitions in each, revealled nothing malevolant as identifeied on the
system. Both have since been uninstalled in case they were in any way
interfering with / actively causing the problem to persist.

One additional piece of information that may or may not be relevant -
attempts to install teh component "RIP Listener" lead to an error "One or
more services for the RIP Listener component took longer that their allotted
time to start. Installation will continue but services will not be available
until they have started completely". I assume this is another clue to
potential dependencies that for some reason are damaged or blocked.

Would be nice to be able to repair this given the time it will take to
reconfigure the system with all needed software, but I am rapidly reaching
the conclusion that only a clean install of Windows XP will resolve this.
Willing to give it a few more atempts if any additional ideas come to mind.
DaveJ

From: DaveJ on
Finally concluded that the configuration could not be salvaged - no repair
pathway that I could find resolved the problem, I even for a time thought it
might be a hardware issue, but it was not.

Resolved the issue by deleting the partition on drive C: and going through
an entire clean install of Windows XP MCE, only minor hassle was the time it
takes to re-activate your copy of Windows XP over the phone having been
backed into a corner like this. Perhaps one day MS will come up with a way
of saving a valid activation so that we do not have to go through the
time/trouble it takes to reactivate over the phone. Nevertheless, the system
is operational again on the network and internet albeit it will take a while
yet to re-install and patch all the installed software to the latest versions.

DaveJ

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: automatic change my ip address