From: R.Wieser on
Hello All,

I recently asked the question if I could find out which protocol the the
InternetOpenUrl command just did accept so I could the apropriate actions
belonging to that protocol (mainly retrieving file-size upfront so I can
create progress-bar).

This has become even more important as the info from MS itself
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa385098(VS.85).aspx ) is
unreliable : it specifies at the top that only the HTTP, HTTPS and FTP
protocols are accepted, but somewhere down it allso mentions the GOPHER
protocol.

It allso mentions Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 2000 Server as the
minimal requirements for the client and server respectivily, when the
function has-and-stilll works allright on a Win98se OS.

Apart from that I discovered from simply trying that apart from the
above-mentioned protocols it allso accepts the FILE protocol, and who knows
which other ones.

So, I would be gratefull for any info about how to retrieve such
information.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

P.s.
Any info about retrieving the file-sizes for any of the accepted protocols
would be welcome too (except for HTTP, that seems to work) .

-- Origional question:
R.Wieser <address(a)not.available> schreef in berichtnieuws
4b2e811a$0$4492$e4fe514c(a)dreader19.news.xs4all.nl...

From: Friedel Jantzen on
Hi,

> This has become even more important as the info from MS itself
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa385098(VS.85).aspx ) is
> unreliable : it specifies at the top that only the HTTP, HTTPS and FTP
> protocols are accepted, but somewhere down it allso mentions the GOPHER
> protocol.
>
> It allso mentions Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 2000 Server as the
> minimal requirements for the client and server respectivily, when the
> function has-and-stilll works allright on a Win98se OS.

In the requirements section table of this link is a row "Version: IE 3.0 or
later". Afaik wininet.dll is updated with the IE.

> Apart from that I discovered from simply trying that apart from the
> above-mentioned protocols it allso accepts the FILE protocol, and who knows
> which other ones.

Interesting.

> P.s.
> Any info about retrieving the file-sizes for any of the accepted protocols
> would be welcome too (except for HTTP, that seems to work) .

I can help with FTP only:
FtpGetFileSize (min. IE 5.0)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384159(VS.85).aspx
MS does not say what is returned on error; perhaps it is like GetFileSize?

Regards,
Friedel
From: R.Wieser on
Hello Friedel,

> In the requirements section table of this link is a row
> "Version: IE 3.0 or later". Afaik wininet.dll is updated
> with the IE.

I overlooked that, but for me that makes it even worse : what am I to
believe ? The "minimum supported client/server" or the IE version. Due to
my experience (it works in Win98se) I must assume the latter, but what is
that "minimum supported" than doing there ?

> I can help with FTP only:
> FtpGetFileSize (min. IE 5.0)
> MS does not say what is returned on error; perhaps it is
> like GetFileSize?

I must apologize, I did try that (on ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org ) and got an
error back. And yes, now you mention it its the same one as with the
"GetDFileSize" function. I did not check the "GetLastError" result, as I
was quite convinced I should have gotten a size and I assumed I used the
function wrong. I'll have to retry.

Thanks for the reply

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message :
Friedel Jantzen <nospam_plz(a)freenet.de> schreef in berichtnieuws
14ldhjxv2v500$.v6ppagy95x9g$.dlg(a)40tude.net...

From: Friedel Jantzen on
Hi Rudy,

>> In the requirements section table of this link is a row
>> "Version: IE 3.0 or later". Afaik wininet.dll is updated
>> with the IE.
>
> I overlooked that, but for me that makes it even worse : what am I to
> believe ? The "minimum supported client/server" or the IE version. Due to
> my experience (it works in Win98se) I must assume the latter, but what is
> that "minimum supported" than doing there ?

I guess, since "min. supported" it is shipped as a part of the OS, too.

>> I can help with FTP only:
>> FtpGetFileSize (min. IE 5.0)
>> MS does not say what is returned on error; perhaps it is
>> like GetFileSize?
>
> I must apologize, I did try that (on ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org ) and got an
> error back. And yes, now you mention it its the same one as with the
> "GetDFileSize" function. I did not check the "GetLastError" result, as I
> was quite convinced I should have gotten a size and I assumed I used the
> function wrong. I'll have to retry.

Yes, the cause of the failure is important. As the doc is insufficient, we
only can try & error.

Another way to get the FTP filesize is
FtpFindFirstFile (min. IE 3.0)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384146(VS.85).aspx