From: Pinacolada on
On May 2, 1:40 pm, Payton Byrd <plb...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> This happens when you try to run the application a second time after
> it crashes or you quit from it.

Fair enough.

> The keys showing up in the status bar is debug code for me to know
> when a key was pressed outside the context of a menu.  That'll become
> the DOS Shell hook at a later date.

Ok.

> To load a drive you hit C= L/R (left or right), then select "Drive"
> and that brings up the list of drives.  Once you select a drive then
> either the left panel or right panel (depending on which menu was
> chosen) is populated with the directory of that drive.

I am trying this in x64, would that make a difference?

True Drive Emulation is enabled.

1) Select Left > Drive...
2) Get the Drive... dialog box, but there is no highlight bar or any
indication of how to select drive 8 (which is a 1541).

I've tried cursor keys, hitting '8', function keys, space, nothing
works.

> I know, things in this program work quite differently than most C=
> software.  I'm trying to stick to modern conventions as much as
> possible.

Nah, I'm familiar with Midnight Commander and its ilk. Will you have
toggle-able function key bar at the bottom in addition to the command
line?
From: Payton Byrd on
On May 2, 8:25 pm, Pinacolada <sym.rsherw...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 2, 1:40 pm, Payton Byrd <plb...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This happens when you try to run the application a second time after
> > it crashes or you quit from it.
>
> Fair enough.

Yeah, this is a side-effect of the strings for the menus being
localizable and stored in separate resource files. Eventually people
can translate the resource files and I'll include tasks in the
makefile to build various international builds.

> > The keys showing up in the status bar is debug code for me to know
> > when a key was pressed outside the context of a menu.  That'll become
> > the DOS Shell hook at a later date.
>
> Ok.

This is a feature I'm most looking forward to. Trying to get the rest
of things working before tackling a recursive descent parser. Yes, I
have big plans for this.

> > To load a drive you hit C= L/R (left or right), then select "Drive"
> > and that brings up the list of drives.  Once you select a drive then
> > either the left panel or right panel (depending on which menu was
> > chosen) is populated with the directory of that drive.
>
> I am trying this in x64, would that make a difference?
>
> True Drive Emulation is enabled.
>
> 1) Select Left > Drive...
> 2) Get the Drive... dialog box, but there is no highlight bar or any
> indication of how to select drive 8 (which is a 1541).

So there's no white > pointing at the current selection to the left of
the drive number? It sounds like it's hanging while interrogating the
IEC bus. What version of VICE are you using?

> I've tried cursor keys, hitting '8', function keys, space, nothing
> works.

Yup, definitely sounds like a hard lockup. Try it with x128 instead
of x64 and let me know if you get the same behavior.

> > I know, things in this program work quite differently than most C=
> > software.  I'm trying to stick to modern conventions as much as
> > possible.
>
> Nah, I'm familiar with Midnight Commander and its ilk. Will you have
> toggle-able function key bar at the bottom in addition to the command
> line?

The function keys are not going to be used. I know I risk starting a
holy war by explaining this, but here's why. I want this program to
be completely compatible with loader carts and roms such as JiffyDOS.
As such, it only uses kernel routines and other safe IO methods. Part
of that means that I am NOT using keyboard scan routines to get input,
but am reading what comes in from conio which is the standard way of
doing console IO in C. So, with JiffyDOS installed, my function keys
are literally mapped to strings that get sent, and can be changed by
the user. So, it's practically impossible to scan for the function
keys without doing direct keyboard scanning which I am not going to
do.

So, to replace the function keys, I do plan on implementing some
keyboard shortcuts (THESE ARE NOT YET IMPLEMENTED):

CTRL/C= 0 through 9 -- Reserved for your "favorite places". You'll be
able to save complete drive and directory information to shortcuts.
So, if you hit CTRL-1 it would open saved location 1 in your left
panel. Hitting C=-1 would load saved location 1 in your right
panel.

C= L, F, C, O, R - Opens up menus
CTRL-E/C=-E - Re-read left or right panels respectively
CTRL-D/C=-D - Select left or right drives respectively
CTRL-P/C=-P - Select left or right panel respectively
^ (up arrow) - Default action for selected file in the selected panel
(open dir, read seq, launch prg)
CTRL-C - Copy selected file in selected panel to other panel
DEL - Scratch selected file in selected panel
CTRL-R - Rename selected file in selected panel

I'm sure there will be many more to come.
From: Payton Byrd on
New version released tonight: 2010-05-03.

You can download it at http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com

Release Notes
New features in this build
* Keyboard Shortcuts
* Panel Swapping
* Panel Toggling On/Off
* Toggling 40/80 Columns
* Confirming Quit
* Confirming GO64 (C128 Version)
* Rereading directories

Known Issues
* Memory leak when reloading large directories repeatedly causes crash