From: Gordon on
OnLine Quicken in a few weeks, Software 5 years max.

I expect Quicken 2011 for Windows to be the last version - unless they
choose to skip 2011 and make a 2012 version.

I doubt there will be any new Mac versions.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2010/tc2010018_451437.htm

-
Email will be:
2Cybers at gmail-dot-com

Gordon Potter
Atlanta, GA
USA
From: Andrew on
Gordon Potter wrote:
> OnLine Quicken in a few weeks, Software 5 years max.
>
> I expect Quicken 2011 for Windows to be the last version - unless they
> choose to skip 2011 and make a 2012 version.
>
> I doubt there will be any new Mac versions.
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2010/tc2010018_451437.htm
>
> -
> Email will be:
> 2Cybers at gmail-dot-com
>
> Gordon Potter
> Atlanta, GA
> USA

I for one will be writing a letter to Intuit this weekend telling them of my
absolute distaste (and more importantly, I won't buy into it) for their
plans to sunset the desktop version of Q. I will not put my data that I
currently have on my PC on the web due to access potential (hell, they can't
get their quotes downloads right much of the time, you expect them to have
your data always available when you need it), as well as (of course) privacy
issues.

It will be tough, but I'd rather go back to a spreadsheet system if I had
to.

Regards -

- Andrew

From: Keith Snyder on

"Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in message
> Gordon Potter wrote:
>> OnLine Quicken in a few weeks, Software 5 years max.
>>
>> I expect Quicken 2011 for Windows to be the last version - unless they
>> choose to skip 2011 and make a 2012 version.
>>
>> I doubt there will be any new Mac versions.
>>
>> http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2010/tc2010018_451437.htm
>>
>> -
>> Email will be:
>> 2Cybers at gmail-dot-com
>>
>> Gordon Potter
>> Atlanta, GA
>> USA
>
> I for one will be writing a letter to Intuit this weekend telling them of
> my absolute distaste (and more importantly, I won't buy into it) for their
> plans to sunset the desktop version of Q. I will not put my data that I
> currently have on my PC on the web due to access potential (hell, they
> can't get their quotes downloads right much of the time, you expect them
> to have your data always available when you need it), as well as (of
> course) privacy issues.
>
> It will be tough, but I'd rather go back to a spreadsheet system if I had
> to.

> Regards -
>
> - Andrew

Check out GnuCash for Windows. It has a steep learning curve, but it does
work.

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Gordon.

Thanks for that link!

Not only did I learn some things from Patzer's interview in the first two
segments, but I enjoyed the 3rd segment on Adm. Grace Hopper, too.

I'm one of the folks in the demographic that Patzer is discussing
(condescendingly and disparagingly?), of course, and I share the reluctance
of many (most?) Quicken users to have my financial data at the FAR end of my
Ethernet cable rather than here in my converted bedroom. But my tendency is
to wait and watch developments before making my decision. Perhaps before
the end of the 5-or-so-year transition phase-out of Quicken desktop there
will be something even more suitable - for me - than what I could choose
from today. So, I'll keep using Quicken for now and keep watching for the
next stepping-stone, whether a newer Quicken or Mint or a step in another
direction.

In any case, it's better to be able to see it coming than to be blindsided
in a few years.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: JimH on
R. C. White wrote:
> Hi, Gordon.
>
> Thanks for that link!
>
> Not only did I learn some things from Patzer's interview in the first
> two segments, but I enjoyed the 3rd segment on Adm. Grace Hopper, too.
>
> I'm one of the folks in the demographic that Patzer is discussing
> (condescendingly and disparagingly?), of course, and I share the
> reluctance of many (most?) Quicken users to have my financial data at
> the FAR end of my Ethernet cable rather than here in my converted
> bedroom. But my tendency is to wait and watch developments before
> making my decision. Perhaps before the end of the 5-or-so-year
> transition phase-out of Quicken desktop there will be something even
> more suitable - for me - than what I could choose from today. So, I'll
> keep using Quicken for now and keep watching for the next
> stepping-stone, whether a newer Quicken or Mint or a step in another
> direction.
>
> In any case, it's better to be able to see it coming than to be
> blindsided in a few years.
>
> RC

The article also says that Quicken has 10 to 12 million customers who
generate $100 million in revenue. While MINT attracts younger users who
get it for free. Heck, make Quicken free, and I'll bet it will attract
more customers also. Of course, the revenue might take a hit.

I like this part of the article.... During the TV interview, Patzer got
in a dig at Quicken, whose cumbersome operation he has said helped
inspire him to create Mint. Quicken appealed to an "anal-retentive-type
personality who wanted to make sure everything was penny perfect," he said.

I wonder if he is the anal retentive type, or if it would be OK for me
to be off a few pennies when I buy the next version of Quicken.
$59.99.... Sure, here is the $.99. Write off the rest as less than penny
perfect. We wouldn't want to be anal retentive about the price. What a jerk!

Well, I'll keep buying Quicken as long as it is available in the current
form. But, I sure won't be buying any Intuit stock.
--
Jim
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9