From: Rick Hess on
"Jerry Boyle" <jerryboyle(a)att.net> wrote

> "Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message
>> "Jeff(a)nospam.fake" <Jeff(a)nospam.fake> wrote in
>> @newsfe24.iad:
>>
>>> I just added a new outgoing firewall which shows me that "Intuit Update
>>> Service" is repeatedly trying to access the internet even when my 2
>>> Intuit programs (Quicken 2008 and TurboTax 2009) are not open.
>>> Is there a way to make this update only occur if and when I start an
>>> Intuit program - or at least reduce the frequency?
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> There probably is a program always running checking it. I can't find it
>> with task manager on my vista system, but maybe you can on yours.
>
> It's IntuitUpdateService.exe. You have to click "Show processes from all
> users" to see it in Task Manager.
>
> TurboTax is a likely suspect. Select Online -> Updater Preferences and
> change "Automatically Download Updates" to "Ask me before getting
> updates."
>
> There may also be a Quicken auto-update preference but I can't find it.
(snip)

I agree, it's probably not Quicken that initiates it. I'm running Q2008 on
Win XP, but have never run Turbo Tax on this machine. I see no "Intuit
Update Service" running.

From: Jerry Boyle on

"Rick Hess" <Rick_Eliminate_Spammers_Hess(a)BellSouth.net> wrote in message
> "Jerry Boyle" <jerryboyle(a)att.net> wrote
>>
>> "Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message
>>> "Jeff(a)nospam.fake" <Jeff(a)nospam.fake> wrote in
>>> @newsfe24.iad:

>>> There probably is a program always running checking it. I can't find it
>>> with task manager on my vista system, but maybe you can on yours.
>>
>> It's IntuitUpdateService.exe. You have to click "Show processes from all
>> users" to see it in Task Manager.
>>
>> TurboTax is a likely suspect. Select Online -> Updater Preferences and
>> change "Automatically Download Updates" to "Ask me before getting
>> updates."
>>
>> There may also be a Quicken auto-update preference but I can't find it.
> (snip)
>
> I agree, it's probably not Quicken that initiates it. I'm running Q2008
> on Win XP, but have never run Turbo Tax on this machine. I see no "Intuit
> Update Service" running.

I was just about to change my mind and blame it on Quicken when I found
this:

http://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/desktoplicense.jsp

Search for "Intuit Update Service" in the Updates section.

From: Rick Hess on
"Jerry Boyle" <jerryboyle(a)att.net> wrote in message

> "Rick Hess" <Rick_Eliminate_Spammers_Hess(a)BellSouth.net> wrote in message
>> "Jerry Boyle" <jerryboyle(a)att.net> wrote
>>>
>>> "Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message

>>> It's IntuitUpdateService.exe. You have to click "Show processes from all
>>> users" to see it in Task Manager.
>>>
>>> TurboTax is a likely suspect. Select Online -> Updater Preferences and
>>> change "Automatically Download Updates" to "Ask me before getting
>>> updates."
>>>
>>> There may also be a Quicken auto-update preference but I can't find it.
>> (snip)
>>
>> I agree, it's probably not Quicken that initiates it. I'm running Q2008
>> on Win XP, but have never run Turbo Tax on this machine. I see no
>> "Intuit Update Service" running.
>
> I was just about to change my mind and blame it on Quicken when I found
> this:
>
> http://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/desktoplicense.jsp
>
> Search for "Intuit Update Service" in the Updates section.

Interesting. I use another tax product from Intuit called ProSeries, which
does not install "Intuit Update Service" (or anything similar) that I can
tell.

--

Rick Hess
New Orleans