From: Seb on
Hello,

every time I start MATLAB, I get the following error message:

Mex file entry point is missing. Please check the (case-sensitive)
spelling of mexFunction (for C MEX-files), or the (case-insensitive)
spelling of MEXFUNCTION (for FORTRAN MEX-files).
??? Invalid MEX-file 'C:\MSC.Software\MSC.ADAMS\2005\win32\dot.dll':
Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.

..

Error in ==> whitebg at 98
lum = dot([.298936021 .58704307445 .114020904255],c(k,:));

Error in ==> colordef>wdefault at 103
whitebg(fig,[1 1 1])

Error in ==> colordef at 50
wdefault(fig)

Error in ==> hgrc at 59
colordef(0,'white') % Set up for white defaults

Error in ==> matlabrc at 91
hgrc

The mentioned File dot.dll seems to be a file that is coming from
MSC.ADAMS 2005. After starting MATLAB and entering
"colordef(0,'white')" I get the same message

>> colordef(0,'white')
Mex file entry point is missing. Please check the (case-sensitive)
spelling of mexFunction (for C MEX-files), or the (case-insensitive)
spelling of MEXFUNCTION (for FORTRAN MEX-files).
??? Invalid MEX-file 'C:\MSC.Software\MSC.ADAMS\2005\win32\dot.dll':
Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.

..

Error in ==> whitebg at 98
lum = dot([.298936021 .58704307445 .114020904255],c(k,:));

Error in ==> colordef>wdefault at 103
whitebg(fig,[1 1 1])

Error in ==> colordef at 50
wdefault(fig)

Why does MATLAB try to use the dot.dll, that is coming from ADAMS,
when executing the colordef command? Does MATLAB use the wrong dll
and how could I solve that?
The error doesn't appear, when I remove the path
'C:\MSC~1.SOF\MSC~1.ADA\2005\win32' in MATLAB, which was, I think,
added by MSC.ADAMS

Thank you for your suggestions.
From: Steven Lord on

"Seb" <speedupAVOID(a)SPAMgmx.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> every time I start MATLAB, I get the following error message:
>
> Mex file entry point is missing. Please check the (case-sensitive)
> spelling of mexFunction (for C MEX-files), or the (case-insensitive)
> spelling of MEXFUNCTION (for FORTRAN MEX-files).
> ??? Invalid MEX-file 'C:\MSC.Software\MSC.ADAMS\2005\win32\dot.dll':
> Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
>
> .
>
> Error in ==> whitebg at 98
> lum = dot([.298936021 .58704307445 .114020904255],c(k,:));

*snip*

> Why does MATLAB try to use the dot.dll, that is coming from ADAMS,
> when executing the colordef command? Does MATLAB use the wrong dll
> and how could I solve that?

When MATLAB sees the call to DOT in whitebg, it follows a series of steps to
determine what DOT is. That series of steps is listed in the documentation
here:

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_prog/ch05_m23.html#59595

I'm assuming that it gets down to step 7 on the list and it starts
travelling the path, asking each directory in turn "Do you have a file named
dot?" The first directory on the path it finds that has a dot file is the
MSC.ADAMS directory, so it tries to call the DOT file in that directory.
Since that DOT file has the extension .dll, it tries to call it as a
MEX-file, but it's not a MEX-file so you receive the error.

> The error doesn't appear, when I remove the path
> 'C:\MSC~1.SOF\MSC~1.ADA\2005\win32' in MATLAB, which was, I think,
> added by MSC.ADAMS

Yes. Now the first instance of DOT that MATLAB finds on the path is the one
that ships with MATLAB. You should move this directory lower on your MATLAB
path than the directory in which the DOT function that ships with MATLAB is
located (if possible, lower on the MATLAB path than all the directories
under $MATLAB/toolbox/matlab, where $MATLAB is your root MATLAB directory),
or remove it from your path if you don't need it.

--
Steve Lord
slord(a)mathworks.com