From: Abba1091 on

I have an external hard-drive (Western Digital My Book) attached to my
PC. Every time I restart the computer, I get the "invalid disk" message.
I have to unplug the external hard-drive before Windows can start. Are
there anything that I can do to resolve this problem ? Like changing the
boot sequence or something like that. The message is really annoying.

Thanks,
Andrew

--
Abba1091
Abba1091's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/202629.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: LD55ZRA on
Abba1091 wrote:

>I have an external hard-drive (Western Digital My Book) attached to my
>PC. Every time I restart the computer, I get the "invalid disk" message.
>I have to unplug the external hard-drive before Windows can start. Are
>there anything that I can do to resolve this problem ? Like changing the
>boot sequence or something like that. The message is really annoying.
>
>Thanks,
>Andrew

You could check in your bios whether the order of booting is HD first
then CD rather than Other
external devices then HD then CD. It is to do with the order of booting.

To go into bios you generally press <del> key when booting or in some
systems it is F2 key.

hth

From: Abba1091 on

Thanks! It works now.

Andrew

From: Twayne on
In news:hp171e$kgq$4(a)speranza.aioe.org,
LD55ZRA <LD55ZRA(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Abba1091 wrote:
>
>> I have an external hard-drive (Western Digital My Book)
>> attached to my PC. Every time I restart the computer, I
>> get the "invalid disk" message. I have to unplug the
>> external hard-drive before Windows can start. Are there
>> anything that I can do to resolve this problem ? Like
>> changing the boot sequence or something like that. The
>> message is really annoying. Thanks,
>> Andrew
>>

> You could check in your bios whether the order of booting
> is HD first then CD rather than Other
> external devices then HD then CD. It is to do with the
> order of booting.
> To go into bios you generally press <del> key when booting
> or in some systems it is F2 key.
>
> hth

I always leave the optical drives as boot-from first, and THEN
the C drive. Then if there's a bootable drive in either CD/DVD
drive, it offers to boot from it, otherwise it goes ahead and
boots from C. Much cleaner than having to change the BIOS
every time I might need to boot from a CD or DVD. No muss, no
fuss, no time lost.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: LD55ZRA on

Twayne wrote:

> I always leave the optical drives as boot-from first, and THEN
> the C drive. Then if there's a bootable drive in either CD/DVD
> drive, it offers to boot from it, otherwise it goes ahead and
> boots from C. Much cleaner than having to change the BIOS
> every time I might need to boot from a CD or DVD. No muss, no
> fuss, no time lost.

Yes I agree and my system also boots from CD first. I was simply
pointing out that the order of booting is causing the problem for
OP.

Thanks Twayne.