From: Gabriel Knight on
Hi all

I need to buy some new virus software for my win xp computer, I have done
some research on two typs. One is "Norton internet security 2010" and the
other is "Kaspersky internet security 2010".

With Norton it seems to be excelent with better resources (not using loads
of pc resources) than previous versions, and has a new "Quorum" engine that
in time will tell if it is good or not, I have used Norton 360 ver 2.0
before and I didnt like the fact that I couldnt delete files in the
"quarinteen" (please excuse my bad spelling) and I need to know if NIS 2010
has a way to delete the files in the quarinteen.

As for Kaspersky, I like the option in it to run programs in a "sandbox"
mode that if there is a problem in the file it wont let it do any type of
change to the system making it safe. I read the navagation in the GUI can be
a bit frustrating for some executions.

So for the two progies what is the best choice for speed and overall
protection and will this new feature "Quorum" be a way to go?

Thanks all
GK :)

From: Bruce Hagen on

"Gabriel Knight" <fakeemail(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I need to buy some new virus software for my win xp computer, I have
> done some research on two typs. One is "Norton internet security 2010"
> and the other is "Kaspersky internet security 2010".
>
> With Norton it seems to be excelent with better resources (not using
> loads of pc resources) than previous versions, and has a new "Quorum"
> engine that in time will tell if it is good or not, I have used Norton
> 360 ver 2.0 before and I didnt like the fact that I couldnt delete files
> in the "quarinteen" (please excuse my bad spelling) and I need to know
> if NIS 2010 has a way to delete the files in the quarinteen.
>
> As for Kaspersky, I like the option in it to run programs in a "sandbox"
> mode that if there is a problem in the file it wont let it do any type
> of change to the system making it safe. I read the navagation in the GUI
> can be a bit frustrating for some executions.
>
> So for the two progies what is the best choice for speed and overall
> protection and will this new feature "Quorum" be a way to go?
>
> Thanks all
> GK :)

My choice between Norton and Kaspersky would be MSE.

Microsoft Security Essentials:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx

It's free. It's Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware. It is rated up there with the
so-called best. It is not a resource hog.

Review
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/first-look-microsoft-security-essentials-impresses.ars

If you ever had Norton installed, download and run this tool.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 00:09:12 +1100, "Gabriel Knight"
<fakeemail(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I need to buy some new virus software for my win xp computer, I have done
> some research on two typs. One is "Norton internet security 2010" and the
> other is "Kaspersky internet security 2010".
>
> With Norton it seems to be excelent with better resources (not using loads
> of pc resources) than previous versions, and has a new "Quorum" engine that
> in time will tell if it is good or not, I have used Norton 360 ver 2.0
> before and I didnt like the fact that I couldnt delete files in the
> "quarinteen" (please excuse my bad spelling) and I need to know if NIS 2010
> has a way to delete the files in the quarinteen.
>
> As for Kaspersky, I like the option in it to run programs in a "sandbox"
> mode that if there is a problem in the file it wont let it do any type of
> change to the system making it safe. I read the navagation in the GUI can be
> a bit frustrating for some executions.
>
> So for the two progies what is the best choice for speed and overall
> protection and will this new feature "Quorum" be a way to go?

In my view, both are poor choices, but Norton is the worst of all.

If are willing to pay for an anti-virus, the best is NOD32. If you
want a free one (only slightly inferior to NOD32) the best choices are
Avira
Avast
Microsoft Security Essentials.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Unknown on
Why 'BUY' when you can get a 'superior' anti virus program from Microsoft
with free updates also.
It is called Microsoft Security Essentials.