From: casp_1986 on
On Aug 4, 12:53 pm, Warren <ve3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2:04 pm, "(see below)" <yaldni...(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone else find it ironic that requests for assistance with
> > "user-friendly" IDEs seem to rival requests for help with Ada itself?
> > --
> > Bill Findlay
> > <surname><forename> chez blueyonder.co.uk
>
> Ya, I was thinking about that the other day when I was trying to
> use GPS. I found it much easier to go back to the Makefile and
> emacs. :)
>
> Warren

I rather like GPS (the GPL edition) and have used AdaGide in the
past. The only problem I have with the GPS editor is using the delete
key, which I seem to use a lot. I'm not sure if its the editor or a
problem with my cordless keyboard but sometimes when deleting the
cursor skips left left a few characters and starts deleting the wrong
characters. I suspect there is a "smart" delete function in the
editor that is trying to predict what I want to do.

GPS has a lot of features I don't use or haven't found a reason to
use. I really like the ability to look up function/procedure calls
"on the fly". Wish I had something like that 20 years ago when I used
to work surrounded by stacks of manuals.

I confess that I've never used EMACS despite some 30 years of writing
code. I vaguely recall the first time I tried it that it reminded of
the original Wordstar editor.

Paul
From: Warren on
On Aug 4, 12:49 am, casp_1986 <pcas1...(a)bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 12:53 pm, Warren <ve3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I confess that I've never used EMACS despite some 30 years of writing
> code.  I vaguely recall the first time I tried it that it reminded of
> the original Wordstar editor.
>
> Paul

Once you go emacs, you never go back. ;-)

Warren