From: 1PW on
Jordon wrote:

Major snippage...

> So when a virus detection program or a malware detection program
> detects a problem and tells you it's prevented damage, you don't
> believe it and do a system restore anyway?

If you are the person who must sign a waver or otherwise certify that
the system is without malware. Yes.

The tech then backs up whatever documents or data that hasn't already
been backed up. Then the tech rebuilds the system to the agreed upon
security specification. Keep in mind that some folks may be held to
unheard of high security standards where "flatten & rebuild" is the
minimum acceptable security/business practice.

In some circles, a factory pre-loaded computer, fresh out of the
shipping container, represents a great unknown and it too must be
flattened & rebuilt to meet high security standards.

> You're taking its word for it that it's done half of its job but
> you don't believe it's capable of doing the other half?
> I don't get it.

Excellent observation Jordon. Our very best antimalware can not be
used alone. The very best antimalware applications we can find must
be used in concert with other "best of breed" applications. What
level of security are you willing to accept?

If your AV software has found and removed a virus, is that good enough
for you? Only you can answer that for you and your system.

--
1PW
From: Walker726 on

'Safe' is a big word,all we can do is minimize the damage.None of the
developers can say everything is OK.

Maybe this tool helpful for somebody. 'Security Shield 2009'
http://www.111download.com/product/security-shield-2009-total-internet-security.html