From: Brian V on
What about defragmentation with a RAID system? Doesn't this system eliminate
file defragmentation? I am under the impression that it is two copies of
everything (one on each drive), it is a faster (and ??more stable system??)
and more reliable system?

Those new HDD's that are flash drives, SSD I think, they don't need
defragmentation I saw in some tutorials. Since they are flash based, if I
defragment my flash memory cards or my memory sticks, is this a bad idea?

Thank you.

From: Leythos on
In article <656B2B60-B186-4BF8-88F4-36451A9A6011(a)microsoft.com>,
BrianV(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...

> What about defragmentation with a RAID system? Doesn't this system eliminate
> file defragmentation? I am under the impression that it is two copies of
> everything (one on each drive), it is a faster (and ??more stable system??)
> and more reliable system?

File Fragmentation is the same on a RAID or non-RAID volume.

> Those new HDD's that are flash drives, SSD I think, they don't need
> defragmentation I saw in some tutorials. Since they are flash based, if I
> defragment my flash memory cards or my memory sticks, is this a bad idea?

It would depend on the Flash drive/disk, if it has some means, other
than what the OS uses, to control file fragments. Consider how and why
FILE fragmentation is created.

Trust yourself.
From: Alias on
On 05/15/2010 03:43 AM, Leythos wrote:
> In article<4BEDCFD7.EE17E555(a)discussions.microsoft.com>,
> LDS5ZRA(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...
>> There is no evidence that defragging speeds up your system in any
>> shape or form. No something you will notice it when using your
>> system everyday.
>>

> There is plenty of evidence that file defrag improves drive system
> performance, only a person with limited experience would suggest
> otherwise.

My goodness, I agree with Leythos. What's the world coming to?

--
Alias
From: Leythos on
In article <hsm0s8$lkp$10(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
aka(a)hewhoismasked&anonymous.com says...

> On 05/15/2010 03:43 AM, Leythos wrote:
> > In article<4BEDCFD7.EE17E555(a)discussions.microsoft.com>,
> > LDS5ZRA(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...
> >> There is no evidence that defragging speeds up your system in any
> >> shape or form. No something you will notice it when using your
> >> system everyday.
> >>

> > There is plenty of evidence that file defrag improves drive system
> > performance, only a person with limited experience would suggest
> > otherwise.
> >

> My goodness, I agree with Leythos. What's the world coming to?

Well, that will certainly harm my credibility, having you agree with
something I've written.

Trust yourself.
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 14 May 2010 23:34:02 -0700, Brian V
<BrianV(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> What about defragmentation with a RAID system? Doesn't this system eliminate
> file defragmentation?

No.

> I am under the impression that it is two copies of everything (one on each drive),

That's only *one* type of RAID, RAID 0.

> it is a faster (and ??more stable system??)
> and more reliable system?

In theory, yes. In practice, hardly ever.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup