From: RobertVA on
On 5/15/2010 2:34 AM, Brian V wrote:
> (snip)
>
> Those new HDD's that are flash drives, SSD I think, they don't need
> defragmentation I saw in some tutorials. Since they are flash based, if I
> defragment my flash memory cards or my memory sticks, is this a bad idea?

The motivation behind defragmenting is avoiding the time necessary for a
mechanical drive head to shift to a different cylinder (track) and
settle into place (they vibrate a little when they stop). On a
fragmented drive you might have a constant situation where the head is
shifting back and forth between two or more cylinders reading successive
segments of a file.

To a lesser extent the drive might have to wait for a particular file
segment to rotate into position under the drive head.

Since flash drives, SSDs and camera memory cards aren't dependent on
rotating disks or heads shifting between cylinders, fragmentation would
be significantly less of a delay (if any at all).
From: Leythos on
In article <656B2B60-B186-4BF8-88F4-36451A9A6011(a)microsoft.com>,
BrianV(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...
> What about defragmentation with a RAID system? Doesn't this system eliminate
> file defragmentation? I am under the impression that it is two copies of
> everything (one on each drive), it is a faster (and ??more stable system??)
> and more reliable system?

RAID, there are many types, has some performance benefits and some
performance penalties:

RAID-0 fast reads/writes, no redundancy
RAID-1 fast reads/slow writes, redundant
RAID-5 fast reads/slow writes, redundant
RAID-0+1 fast reads/writes, redundant

There are cases to use each one, no one type is best for everyone.

All drives, arrays, become file fragmented, even if you keep the
drives/arrays 50% empty or more, it just happens.

The impact of fragmentation is also individual, meaning that some people
will never feel the difference, others will notice a difference between
very fragmented and not fragmented.

I defragment by workstations every couple months, servers on weekends,
but I'm only one type of user, you might need more or less.

Trust yourself.
From: Alias on
On 05/15/2010 04:48 PM, Leythos wrote:
> In article<hsm0s8$lkp$10(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> aka(a)hewhoismasked&anonymous.com says...
>>
>> On 05/15/2010 03:43 AM, Leythos wrote:
>>> In article<4BEDCFD7.EE17E555(a)discussions.microsoft.com>,
>>> LDS5ZRA(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...
>>>>

>>> There is plenty of evidence that file defrag improves drive system
>>> performance, only a person with limited experience would suggest
>>> otherwise.
>>>

>> My goodness, I agree with Leythos. What's the world coming to?
>
> Well, that will certainly harm my credibility, having you agree with
> something I've written.

Poor baby. Do you think you'll get over it?

--
Alias
From: Db on
Defragging a system won't
do you any harm so you
should try it and make your
own determination if it is a
a worthwhile process.

however, there was a time that
defrag did improve performance
for systems that had hard disks
with limited drive space and
had slow data access speeds.

But nowadays hard drives
are faster and larger and
fragmentation is no longer
a contributing factor in
performance.

as the matter of fact, technical
documentation from microsoft
pertaining to vista state that
defragging disk is no longer
necessary and "does not improve
system performance".

perhaps, it is because the computer
turns right around and creates fragments
of the data that was defrag's

however, the quandary exists at
microsoft because on the one
hand the technicians have tested
and made a thorough analysis
on the ineffectiveness of defragging
large and faster disks in vista,

but at the same time microsoft
includes a defragging utility in
with the o.s.

in any case, everyone has
unique systems that benefit
by unique methodologies.

as stated before you can run
defrag and ascertain a personal
assessment of performance

or if you born back when American
culture was factually experiencing
induced enlightenment,

then you might find unfragmenting
files to be entertaining.

From: Unknown on
How can you possibly state that fragmentation is no longer a factor in
performance?
If you ONLY had one fragment, it would add a minimum of 10 MS to a read
operation.