From: Leythos on
In article <E5214409-74FB-4E90-BD58-D55FD009AFED(a)microsoft.com>,
databaseben(a)sbcglobal.net says...
> But nowadays hard drives
> are faster and larger and
> fragmentation is no longer
> a contributing factor in
> performance.

You are really showing why people don't listen to you - while a small
amount of file fragmentation will hardly be noticed, massive amounts
dramatically impact overall file performance.

Trust yourself.
From: Bill in Co. on
Unknown wrote:
> How can you possibly state that fragmentation is no longer a factor in
> performance?

The same way that many people thought that Sarah Palin was actually
qualified to be Vice President??? (Hint: that's how).

From: Jim on
On Sat, 15 May 2010 14:14:38 -0600, "Bill in Co."
<not_really_here(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>Unknown wrote:
>> How can you possibly state that fragmentation is no longer a factor in
>> performance?
>
>The same way that many people thought that Sarah Palin was actually
>qualified to be Vice President??? (Hint: that's how).

Seeing her so much in the news/papers I thought she was ;-)
Jim ( UK )

From: HeyBub on
Leythos wrote:
> In article <#1wndj28KHA.3176(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, heybub(a)gmail.com
> says...
>>
>> Lisa wrote:
>>> I was told by a computer repairman that it's not necessary to defrag
>>> my laptop. If the hard drive gets full, remove files and always
>>> make sure I'm using a virus protection.
>>> What are your thoughts?
>>
>> I can envision a situation in a data center with hundreds of
>> thousands of transactions per minute where defragging may be of some
>> slight benefit (assuming an NTFS file system).
>>
>> I can also imagine a user devoted to daily defragging experiencing a
>> power interruption during a critical directory manipulation process.
>
> On a small computer with many add/delete/grow/shrink operations,
> defrag can significantly impact file access times and can be very
> noticeable to users if their system was badly file fragmented before
> the defrag.
>
> White-Space fragmention is not normally an issue, but a file that is
> fragmented into 8000 parts will have an impact on system performance.
>
> This argument has gone on for decades, but it's the people that
> maintain systems across many areas that know the benefits of defrag.

Ignorance can be fixed - hence the original question. It's knowing something
that is false that's the bigger problem.

Considering your example of 8,000 segments, consider: A minimum segment size
of 4096 bytes implies a minimum of 32 meg file. A FAT-32 system requires a
minimum of 16,000 head movements to gather all the pieces. In this case,
with an average access time of 12msec, you'll spend over six minutes just
moving the head around. Factor in rotational delay to bring the track marker
under the head, then rotational delay to find the sector, and so on, you're
up to ten minutes or so to read the file.

An NTFS system will suck up the file with ONE head movement. You still have
the rotational delays and so forth, but NTFS will cut the six minutes off
the slurp-up time.

De-fragging an NTFS system DOES have its uses: For those who dust the inside
covers of the books on their shelves and weekly scour the inside of the
toilet water tank, a sense of satisfaction infuses their very being after a
successful operation.

I personally think Prozac is cheaper, but to each his own.

From: HeyBub on
hello(a)goodbye.com wrote:

> Why would anyone NOT defrag? It's so easy to do, and its something
> you can start doing before dinner, or before going to bed. By the
> time you're done eating, or wake up, it's finished.
>
> NOT defragging slows down your computer.

Reduced efficiency is not easily detectable or significant on a
heavily-fragmented NTFS drive.

> NOT defragging makes your hard drive work harder, and wears it out
> sooner.

Nope. The head moves ONE time irrespective of the number of fragments (on an
NTFS drive).

> NOT defragging makes it harder to retrieve data in the event a hard
> drive begins to fail.

That IS true.

> The more often you delete files or move them, the more often you
> should defrag.

Yes. Heavy users could possibly detect some benefit with a sheduled defrag
every couple of years or so. Ordinary user, perhaps every decade.