From: Jim Adamthwaite on
A friend has a SUSE 11.1 system (installed by me) which will no longer
print to his Hewlett Packard CP1215 laserjet printer. It used to work
until he moved house.

Kjobview reports a print job as being in progress, apparently "busying
out" the printer, which remains frozen. Adding real print jobs fills
the queue, but they are not acted on.

There are no control or data files files in the spool directory which
correspond to the "ghost" job. The job cannot be deleted, expedited or
re-booted away. Stopping and restarting the server changes nothing.
Doing a forced yast2 update of all cups-related packages changes nothing.

Q. Is there some way to force all of cups control/status files/flags to
new/blank state?

It's odd, this "ghost" print job. It has an out-of-sequence number of
2553, but only 550 pages/jobs have been printed by the owner since
installation. The ghost job seems to be missing some data fields, for
instance it has an empty title string.

I dread the idea of a re-install.

Thank you.
Jim Adamthwaite.
From: Hendrik van Hees on
Have you just deleted the printer via yast and put it in again? If this
doesn't help, check the files in /etc/cups.

--
Hendrik van Hees
Justus-Liebig Universit�t Gie�en
From: Eef Hartman on
Hendrik van Hees <hees(a)comp.tamu.edu> wrote:
> Have you just deleted the printer via yast and put it in again? If this
> doesn't help, check the files in /etc/cups.

Jobs are under /var/spool/cups so the OP has to look under there if
anything got corrupted.
Completed jobs are c<number>, I forgot how the in-progress jobs
were called. And in _our_ system at least (but that is a-typical)
lock files for the printer(s) are kept in the tmp subdir of that.
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **
From: Jim Adamthwaite on
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll journey round to said friends'
place & have another sticky-beak. I must learn about remote control
stuff to save petrol. Any suggestions about what to start reading?

Jim A.
From: Jan Gerrit Kootstra on
Jim Adamthwaite schreef:
> Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll journey round to said friends'
> place & have another sticky-beak. I must learn about remote control
> stuff to save petrol. Any suggestions about what to start reading?
>
> Jim A.

Jim,

read about ssh/telnet or play with putty

Be aware that a firewall may be blocking ssh (telnet over internet is
asking for hackers)

Open a firewall only for your support ip-address (most of the time the
WAN ip-address of your ADSL or Cable provider is enough)

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit

Pages: 1
Prev: Just testing 1