From: Mayan Moudgill on
Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:

> E.g. Terje, you're known to be a Larrabee fan. Can you vectorize CABAC?

Not a chance.

> For example: divide the image up into subblocks, and run CABAC on each
> subblock in parallel.

Problem is with the standard. H.264 specifies that the frame is CABAC
encoded.
From: nmm1 on
In article <n56dnSJGq7FwDnzXnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d(a)metrocastcablevision.com>,
Bill Todd <billtodd(a)metrocast.net> wrote:

>>> The fact that Itanic came so close to world domination *despite* its
>>> abject failure to deliver on the promises that had seemed to make that
>>> domination inevitable tends to prove that the attempt to bluff its way
>>> to success was a daring and risky move but hardly an insane one. ...
>>
>> Not really. It was a lot further from that than the hype indicated.
>
>Not really.

See below :-)

>Consider, for example, just the VMS market (a not-inconsiderable annual
>$4 billion system market all by itself before the Alphacide). ...

The association of VMS and $4 billion with "world domination" in
the late 1990s is amusing :-) Sorry, but ....
>> It made practical headway in two areas, so let's consider them.
>>
>> HPC was its most successful area, and something like two sites tried
>> it and rejected it for every one that delivered a service using it.
>
>The importance of HPC to real-world success of a platform is pretty
>debatable.

Even in the late 1990s, it had more influence than VMS. It's not
the money, it's the USA military-industrial establishment, and the
political power they wield.

>> The other was Mission Critical computers for Big Business.
>
>Exactly.
>
> I met
>> people from several of those, and they had all taken the position
>> that they were going to run it in parallel with their existing
>> systems for a year or more before making a decision.
>
>Which is what they would have done with virtually *any* new system, no
>matter how wonderful it seemed: these people give new meaning to the
>word 'cautious'.

You missed the point of my posting. It wasn't that they were being
cautious - they had taken a decision, and it was "not with a barge
pole" - that's not something the technical people are even allowed
to hint to outsiders, but I have been a future watcher for a long
time now.

Any other experience gets "How's it going" with "OK, but we're only
part-way through our testing." And that wasn't just one company.

>> My point here is that, if the Itanic had started to be pushed much
>> harder, the real heavyweights would have joined the opposition.
>
>What earthly reason do you have to think that? IBM never lifted a
>finger against Itanic but rather got on board early and shipped product
>for several years. ...

I was informally contacted by one important group, and had contacts
with others. It wasn't quite like that ....

My comment was based on gleanings of throw-away remarks from a large
number of people in very important customers. A few explicitly said
"over my dead body", but one hell of a lot hinted it, often by being
quite open about everything else but clamming up about the Itanic.
This was when they were using publicly available systems, so the
draconian pre-release NDAs did not apply. Virtually none were in
favour.

>> It never had an earthly of doing what it was originally hyped to
>> do (i.e. entirely replace x86).
>
>Save for the grace of AMD it still might have: without a credible,
>inexpensive, and pervasive 64-bit alternative Intel could have just
>waited until desktops began to demand 64-bit processors.

No way. Sorry. HP had restarted the PA-RISC line by then, IBM had
restarted POWER, MIPS was available for purchase (and there were
many companies with the resources to take it over and restart it),
SPARC was still very much alive, and doubtless there were other plots
and plans.

I don't think that you realise just how badly the IA64 behaved on
desktop and similar workloads. Even Sun's SPARC (let alone Fujitsu's)
beat it into a cocked hat. And I don't just mean performance, but
usability and reliability.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Joe Pfeiffer on
"Andy \"Krazy\" Glew" <ag-news(a)patten-glew.net> writes:

> Robert Myers wrote:
>> On Oct 21, 11:54 pm, Joe Pfeiffer <pfeif...(a)cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>>> We were sure supposed to take it seriously -- didn't Merced actually
>>> have a i386 core on it when delivered?
>>
>> It had something or other, but PIII had to be in the works (Andy would
>> know) and it would have stomped anything that came before.
>
> I am not aware of an Itanium shipped or proposed that had an "x86 core
> on the side".
>
> There were proposals to have some special purpose hardware, like some
> x86 instruction decoders that packed into VLIW instructions.

I had thought it did -- clearly I thought wrong! There at least was a
section of the die dedicated to "IA-32 Control", according to a photo in
the Sharangpani and Arora paper.

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

Bill Todd <billtodd(a)metrocast.net> writes:
> Consider, for example, just the VMS market (a not-inconsiderable
> annual $4 billion system market all by itself before the Alphacide).
> When Alpha got the axe in mid-2001, Compaq mounted a concerted, fairly
> slick, and thoroughly disgusting effort to present Itanic as an
> upgrade rather than a regrettable alternative - and the majority of
> the VMS population seemed quite willing to go along with that view
> until a small subset of us screamed bloody murder for several years
> running setting the record straight.

electronics & technology seemed to drop through threshold for the
mid-range market and demand exploded. Old post of decade of vax sliced &
diced by year, model, US/non-US.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002f.html#0 Computers in Science Fiction

43xx saw similar numbers in that market in same time-frame ... except it
appeared to edge out vax numbers with having some large corporate
customers with orders of multiple hundreds at a time (sort of explosion
with local, distributed departmental servers)

by mid-80s, that market was starting to shift to workstations and large
PCs. the later 43xx machines, which had expected to repeat the explosive
sales numbers of the earlier machines ... almost dried up (similar to
what was seen with vax).

some old 43xx related email from the period
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#43xx

this old post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#15 departmental servers

has reference to customer, that spring '79 was looking at 20 4341 order
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#email790404b

.... but by fall 79, order had turned into 210 4341s

there was big explosion internally ... departmental 43xx machines taking
over deparmental supply rooms and in some cases, conference rooms. it
was also significant contributor to internal network passing 1000 nodes
in 1983 (same time frame arpanet/internet great conversion to tcp/ip;
.... internal network was larger than arpanet/internet from just about
beginning until possibly late '85 or early '86)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970
From: Mayan Moudgill on
nmm1(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:

> No way. Sorry. HP had restarted the PA-RISC line by then, IBM had
> restarted POWER, MIPS was available for purchase (and there were
> many companies with the resources to take it over and restart it),
> SPARC was still very much alive, and doubtless there were other plots
> and plans.

Don't know about the other companies, but IBM had never ceased POWER
development; it just seemed that way to the outside world :)

And SGI was catastrophically late. I don't know what the state of their
processor development team was at that point; did they even have anyone
left?