From: alex23 on
Blog <Blogtes...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you not heard about the "Unladen Swallow" project from google?
> There's a new PEP coming up which will propose google's codebase to be
> merged with Py3k, resulting in superior performance.

This kind of worries me for a number of reasons:
* unladen is _way_ too immature and unproven a project to replace the
current implementation,
* Google themselves have stressed they're only concerned with
improvements that benefit their use cases, such that
* other benchmarks appear to perform _worse_ under unladen, and
* has the project even posted substantive enough gains to warrant
this change? that didn't seem to be the situation when I last checked
* so far, the speed improvements have come at a cost of significantly
higher memory use (i believe it was ~10 times that of CPython at one
point)

I dunno, I kinda feel about Unladen Swallow the exact same way I do
about Go: if it wasn't a Google project, I really doubt it would be
getting the attention it is (over the other performance enhancement
projects: cython, psyco2, pypi et al)
From: Phlip on
On Jan 12, 7:09 am, ikuta liu <ikut...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Go language try to merge low level, hight level and browser language.

Go uses := for assignment.

This means, to appease the self-righteous indignation of the math
professor who would claim = should mean "equality"...

....you gotta type a shift and 2 characters for a very common operator.

Pass!

--
Phlip
From: Tim Chase on
Phlip wrote:
> On Jan 12, 7:09 am, ikuta liu <ikut...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Go language try to merge low level, hight level and browser language.
>
> Go uses := for assignment.
>
> This means, to appease the self-righteous indignation of the math
> professor who would claim = should mean "equality"...
>
> ...you gotta type a shift and 2 characters for a very common operator.
>
> Pass!

Pass?! no...Pascal! :-)

-tkc

From: David Cournapeau on
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Phlip <phlip2005(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> This means, to appease the self-righteous indignation of the math
> professor who would claim = should mean "equality"...

Much more likely, this is part of the stated goal of making go very
easy to analyse (to build tools and so that go is very fast to
compile), as stated in its FAQ.

cheers,

David
From: Anh Hai Trinh on
On Jan 18, 6:03 pm, Phlip <phlip2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 12, 7:09 am, ikuta liu <ikut...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Go language try to merge low level, hight level and browser language.
>
> Go uses := for assignment.

Except that it doesn't. := is a declaration.

s := "foo"

is short for

var s string = "foo"

Cheers,