From: Phlip on
On Jan 18, 5:59 am, Anh Hai Trinh <anh.hai.tr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > Go uses := for assignment.
>
> Except that it doesn't. := is a declaration.

Ah, and that's why Go is easy for cheap parsers to rip.

Tx all!

I was formerly too mortified to proceed - now I'm back in the Go camp.
They fixed the hideous redundancy of Java without the ill-defined
scope issues of Python & Ruby, and without the tacky little 'var' of
JavaScript!

From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 03:03:26 -0800, Phlip wrote:

> On Jan 12, 7:09 am, ikuta liu <ikut...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Go language try to merge low level, hight level and browser language.
>
> Go uses := for assignment.
>
> This means, to appease the self-righteous indignation of the math
> professor who would claim = should mean "equality"...
>
> ...you gotta type a shift and 2 characters for a very common operator.

I doubt it has anything to do with "the math professor". Any maths
professor will tell you that, in mathematics, = is used for both
assignment and equality, since in maths they are the same thing.

And besides, equality testing is no less common than assignment. To
appease the "self-righteous indignation of the C coders", we have to type
== instead of = for a very common operator. No matter what convention you
use, you're going to upset some group of people.

Seriously, I programmed in Pascal for many years, and typing := for
assignment is not a burden.

--
Steven
From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:37:36 -0800, Phlip wrote:

> They fixed the hideous redundancy of Java without the ill-defined scope
> issues of Python

Which ill-defined scope issues are you referring to?

--
Steven
From: MRAB on
Phlip wrote:
> On Jan 12, 7:09 am, ikuta liu <ikut...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Go language try to merge low level, hight level and browser language.
>
> Go uses := for assignment.
>
> This means, to appease the self-righteous indignation of the math
> professor who would claim = should mean "equality"...
>
> ...you gotta type a shift and 2 characters for a very common operator.
>
> Pass!

If I were going to list what I didn't like about Go, that wouldn't be
one of them!
From: Albert van der Horst on
In article <hij24v$e72$1(a)panix5.panix.com>, Aahz <aahz(a)pythoncraft.com> wrote:
>In article <1b42700d-139a-4653-8669-d4ee2fc488b6(a)r5g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>ikuta liu <ikuta85(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Is python not good enough? for google, enhance python performance is
>>the good way better then choose build Go language?
>
>It is not at all clear that -- despite some comments to the contrary --
>the Go developers are intending to compete with Python. Go seems much
>more intended to compete with C++/Java. If they're successful, we may
>eventually see GoPython. ;-)

As far as I can tell, Go was not intended to compete with anything.
It was their own itch they scratched.
Then they opened it to the world, which I applaud.

If Go was to compete with anything, they would have give it a name
that was Googleable. ;-)

>--
>Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Groetjes Albert