From: John Sheehy on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in news:270320101900106899%
nospam(a)nospam.invalid:

> In article
> <21f2ae10-efbc-4b02-a0c7-0441abf01bec(a)30g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
> RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We've seen the before and after shots from cameras on the web. I
>> think it is a barrier.
>
> it's not a barrier. the solution is to use a higher resolution sensor.

Yes. When I get my 250MP FF sensor, I don't want the AA filter dropped. I
just want its radius small enough to prevent aliasing with sharp, fast
lenses. An appropriate AA filter for a 250MP FF would not adversely affect
images with higher f-stops; blur (radius) adds in quadrature, and the
contribution of the AA would be negligible.
From: John Sheehy on
RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:af3ea6dd-b7e2-430e-bd14-
24f598bf6f01(a)z3g2000yqz.googlegroups.com:

> On Mar 27, 5:38�am, Chris Malcolm <c...(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>>And given that every camera maker is producing
>> cameras with larger and larger pixel counts at least every other year,
>> why is the AA filter a barrier to resolution?

> When 24 megapixels with, is like 16 megapixels without.

No. 24 "with" has more resolution, but lower *contrast* near the nyquist.
16 "without" is more aliased. Apples and oranges; no simple monolithic
metric.
From: David J. Littleboy on

"John Sheehy" <JPS(a)no.komm> wrote:
> RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 27, 5:38 am, Chris Malcolm <c...(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>>And given that every camera maker is producing
>>> cameras with larger and larger pixel counts at least every other year,
>>> why is the AA filter a barrier to resolution?
>
>> When 24 megapixels with, is like 16 megapixels without.
>
> No. 24 "with" has more resolution, but lower *contrast* near the nyquist.
> 16 "without" is more aliased. Apples and oranges; no simple monolithic
> metric.

If you actually look at some test charts, and use the (rather reasonable)
metric that "to resolve" must mean _to resolve accurately_, then what you
see is that 16MP without an AA filter has less resolution than 16MP with an
AA filter. (For the obvious reason that aliasing artifacts obscure actual
detail.)

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

From: nospam on
In article <Xns9D4CC68E91A16jpsnokomm(a)216.168.3.70>, John Sheehy
<JPS(a)no.komm> wrote:

> Some people *like* aliasing, because they are optically naive and don't
> recognize real detail vs aliased apparent detail.

that's sigma's secret sauce. the aliasing doesn't have false colour so
they can get away with it (and even claim an anti-alias filter isn't
needed). a lot of people fall for it.

> Me, personally, I get a very disturbing feeling when looking at aliased
> images. Even downsampled, sharp images from the Sigma SD9 give me the
> heeby-jeebies. They look like a small nearest-neighbor downsample of a
> much larger image; with entire columns and rows of pixels removed, and the
> remainder expanding to fill in the gaps.

not only are the images aliased like crazy but they're *also*
oversharpened. it really hurts.
From: J. Caldwell on
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 23:10:56 -0400, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>In article <Xns9D4CC68E91A16jpsnokomm(a)216.168.3.70>, John Sheehy
><JPS(a)no.komm> wrote:
>
>> Some people *like* aliasing, because they are optically naive and don't
>> recognize real detail vs aliased apparent detail.
>
>that's sigma's secret sauce. the aliasing doesn't have false colour so
>they can get away with it (and even claim an anti-alias filter isn't
>needed). a lot of people fall for it.
>
>> Me, personally, I get a very disturbing feeling when looking at aliased
>> images. Even downsampled, sharp images from the Sigma SD9 give me the
>> heeby-jeebies. They look like a small nearest-neighbor downsample of a
>> much larger image; with entire columns and rows of pixels removed, and the
>> remainder expanding to fill in the gaps.
>
>not only are the images aliased like crazy but they're *also*
>oversharpened. it really hurts.

We're all still waiting for just one image from any camera you've ever
touched in life. But we all know better, don't we. You're a
pretend-photographer troll who's never touched any real camera in your
lifetime.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Why Pentax dumped the aging CF card
Next: Voices