From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <ki6vk5l1sat32bb8roqv6gjijcr866594k(a)4ax.com>, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> Note that "track kerning" is not the same as "pair kerning".

True. But you can apply the amount of kerning you want to any selected text. Select a
whole block of text and in effect, you have track kerning (usually called simpy "tracking"
in the typesetting biz). Select just two characters to adjust the kerning for that pair (or
rather that *instance* of that pair ... it'd be a whole lot more useful if we could define
our own tables to apply to every instance of a given character pair).

> (Some years ago, in a discussion, someone pointed out that he had done
>
> The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
>
> in Word, one with pair kerning on, the other with pair kerning off, and observed that
> "pair kerning does nothing, because both were the same length". Sadly, he had not
> conducted a valid experiment; there is no pair of characters in that sentence that have
> kerning information. I was able to create an example that demonstrated that in fact pair
> kerning does work, but only for fonts that have the information and for sequences that
> have kernable pairs)

And to further confuse things, he'd have had to use the type a minimum type size (by
default, over 12 point).

PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint