From: tsy85kp on
I have poked around off and on over the years... now it's really getting
annoying!
kp
From: Mark on
On Jan 14, 3:39 pm, tsy85kp <tsy8...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have poked around off and on over the years... now it's really getting
> annoying!
> kp

You can in 2007
From: Exhaust on
You can in Office 2007. When you open the font dialog box there is an option
now.

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <CEF3A2C7-8A50-4473-83A5-371F8318475D(a)microsoft.com>, Tsy85kp
wrote:
> I have poked around off and on over the years... now it's really getting
> annoying!

I'm guessing you have PPT 2003 or older.

PPT 2007 supports kerning. Select the text you want to kern, right click
and pick Font. Click the Character Spacing tab then set the amount you
want spacing condensed or expanded by.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Note that "track kerning" is not the same as "pair kerning". All TrueType/OpenType fonts
allow for pair-kerning tables. Track kerning adds/subtracts a *constant* amount of space
between each pair of characters, regardless of their appearance. Pair kerning will adjust
the spacing between two characters based on their relative appearance.

In addition to pair kerning and track kerning, there is something I call "pseudo kerning",
which is specifically the ABC font widths, which provide absolute offsets which try to
give the illusion of tightening up gratuitous whitespace, but they don't solve all
problems; there are a number of wonderful "weird cases" where the ABC metrics do exactly
the wrong thing.

(Some years ago, in a discussion, someone pointed out that he had done

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

in Word, one with pair kerning on, the other with pair kerning off, and observed that
"pair kerning does nothing, because both were the same length". Sadly, he had not
conducted a valid experiment; there is no pair of characters in that sentence that have
kerning information. I was able to create an example that demonstrated that in fact pair
kerning does work, but only for fonts that have the information and for sequences that
have kernable pairs)
joe

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:15:37 -0500, Steve Rindsberg <abuse(a)localhost.com> wrote:

>In article <CEF3A2C7-8A50-4473-83A5-371F8318475D(a)microsoft.com>, Tsy85kp
>wrote:
>> I have poked around off and on over the years... now it's really getting
>> annoying!
>
>I'm guessing you have PPT 2003 or older.
>
>PPT 2007 supports kerning. Select the text you want to kern, right click
>and pick Font. Click the Character Spacing tab then set the amount you
>want spacing condensed or expanded by.
>

>==============================
>PPT Frequently Asked Questions
>http://www.pptfaq.com/