From: Kyote on
I'm looking to upgrade my system. I've currently got this as my setup

Via Speccy
------------------
Operating System
MS Windows XP 64-bit SP2
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 105 �F
NewCastle 0.13um Technology
RAM
1.0GB Single-Channel DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-4-4-8)
Motherboard
MSI MS-6702 (Socket-754)
Graphics
HD2201 @ 1680x1050
128MB GeForce FX 5200 (Undefined)
Hard Drives
59GB Western Digital WDC WD600BB-00CAA1 (IDE)
78GB Western Digital WDC WD80 0JD-22JNA0 SCSI Disk Device
(SCSI)
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAP422 8
HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8523B
ATQ CH27CLAZSDMZ SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)

Here's a link to a full report by Speccy
(Piriform created Speccy as well as CCleaner)
------------
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/amLfFBjW1Mfy3WiKTJexJNm

It was my brothers old system and it quit on him and he bought a new
one and gave this to me. Turns out the sata boot drivers got screwy
was all. So it's been a pretty good system for me since then. But with
today's dual/quad core processors, and even higher now available, I
know I need to upgrade my system. The thing is I can't afford to make
mistakes. I've read several reviews on this MB and the CPU and all
sounds good.

But I was hoping some of you could look at the combo I'm considering
and offer your opinions. I'm hoping to re-use whatever I can from my
current rig with the new combo(ram,hard drives, CD burners etc...).

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6077919&CatId=2417

I know I'm also going to need a fan/heat sink and on that I also need
advice. Here's the fan/heat sink I'm thinking of getting:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4662522&CatId=493

Also my power supply is 500w, brand new. Will it be good enough for
this? I run Windows XP Pro and can see no reason I'll be changing my
OS anytime soon. I'm mostly worried about whether or not my ram will
work in the new board and if the chosen fan/heatsink will work and be
sufficient? But any other constructive comments and opinions would be
very much welcome. I'm wanting a x4 CPU and this looks like it might
keep me gaming, watching movies, and surfing for years to come. What
do you think?

--
Kyote

sends.hearty("Greetings!");
From: Paul on
Kyote wrote:
> I'm looking to upgrade my system. I've currently got this as my setup
>
> Via Speccy
> ------------------
> Operating System
> MS Windows XP 64-bit SP2
> CPU
> AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 105 �F
> NewCastle 0.13um Technology
> RAM
> 1.0GB Single-Channel DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-4-4-8)
> Motherboard
> MSI MS-6702 (Socket-754)
> Graphics
> HD2201 @ 1680x1050
> 128MB GeForce FX 5200 (Undefined)
> Hard Drives
> 59GB Western Digital WDC WD600BB-00CAA1 (IDE)
> 78GB Western Digital WDC WD80 0JD-22JNA0 SCSI Disk Device
> (SCSI)
> Optical Drives
> ATAPI iHAP422 8
> HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8523B
> ATQ CH27CLAZSDMZ SCSI CdRom Device
> Audio
> Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)
>
> Here's a link to a full report by Speccy
> (Piriform created Speccy as well as CCleaner)
> ------------
> http://speccy.piriform.com/results/amLfFBjW1Mfy3WiKTJexJNm
>
> It was my brothers old system and it quit on him and he bought a new
> one and gave this to me. Turns out the sata boot drivers got screwy
> was all. So it's been a pretty good system for me since then. But with
> today's dual/quad core processors, and even higher now available, I
> know I need to upgrade my system. The thing is I can't afford to make
> mistakes. I've read several reviews on this MB and the CPU and all
> sounds good.
>
> But I was hoping some of you could look at the combo I'm considering
> and offer your opinions. I'm hoping to re-use whatever I can from my
> current rig with the new combo(ram,hard drives, CD burners etc...).
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6077919&CatId=2417
>
> I know I'm also going to need a fan/heat sink and on that I also need
> advice. Here's the fan/heat sink I'm thinking of getting:
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4662522&CatId=493
>
> Also my power supply is 500w, brand new. Will it be good enough for
> this? I run Windows XP Pro and can see no reason I'll be changing my
> OS anytime soon. I'm mostly worried about whether or not my ram will
> work in the new board and if the chosen fan/heatsink will work and be
> sufficient? But any other constructive comments and opinions would be
> very much welcome. I'm wanting a x4 CPU and this looks like it might
> keep me gaming, watching movies, and surfing for years to come. What
> do you think?
>
> --
> Kyote
>
> sends.hearty("Greetings!");

The processor is a 125W one. It's listed as $117 on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103644

The motherboard is $70 on Newegg. Read the customer reviews, to see
what you're in for. The board has, what appears to be solid polymer caps
for Vcore and for the chipset. But the DIMM regulator circuit appears to
use regular electrolytic caps. Some cap manufacturers make electrolytics
in solid polymer packaging (presumably, to fool consumers). The motherboard
has two DIMM slots. Memory type is DDR2. Your old motherboard uses DDR,
so the old RAM sticks won't fit. You'll need new RAM. A pair of RAM
sticks of some sort, is recommended. I'd probably buy 2x1GB DDR2 for example.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130237

Example of some RAM. The voltage spec on these is a little high.
If you loosen the timing, then the voltage can come down a bit.
Or you could just get some DDR2-800 RAM that runs at 1.8V.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104008

The CPU support chart for your motherboard, shows processors up to 125 watts.
The table shows what looks like two BIOS releases, but the support page
doesn't list the BIOS, so I can't tell you anything about the BIOS history,
and whether you're going to need to flash update the board, before the
940 processor will work.

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpusupport&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1883

(Manual)

http://download2.msi.com/files/downloads/mnu_exe/E7549v1.7.zip

The cooler you've selected, is all aluminum. There is no copper
slug in the center, to aid heat movement. The processor will
have its own heat spreader inside, which will help a bit. The
cooler also has no heat pipes. Heat pipes make better usage
of the cooling fins, as the heat pipe is an excellent conductor
of heat. Heat pipes actually conduct heat better than an equivalent
solid piece of copper, due to the liquid/vapor phase change used
inside for transport. Your processor has a peak power dissipation of
125W. I would estimate the theta_R of that cooler as 0.20C/W
or perhaps a bit higher. 125W * 0.20 = 25C temperature rise.
If the room air is 25C, the air inside the computer case is 32C,
then 32C + (125W * 0.20C/W) gives 57C when the CPU is flat out.

Your cooler choice, could be a rebranded Xigmatek. Maybe
Ultra just placed their sticker on this design.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233022

To see a picture of a similar cooler, but with a heatpipe, there
is this one. But the prices on some of these, is an issue.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/35-118-030-S02?$S640W$

Ones like this, allow using a slower fan speed, and are nice
for quieter computer builds. But this one is $50.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/35-118-059-Z04?$S640W$

I use a cooler like this one, but I can't tell you what it'll do with
a 125W processor connected. I have a 65W processor on this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103046

Disadvantages of the GeminII S:

1) Dust tends to collect in the fins. You can easily vacuum the dust
out, but be careful! My fan is attached by four screws, and you can
remove the fan and screws, to clean the fins.

2) Don't attempt to wipe dust off the fan blades! I ruined the fan
bearing while cleaning the fan. I had to buy a Stealth 120mm to
replace the fan I ruined. Clean the heatsink, but leave that fan
alone.

3) The cooler *bolts* to the motherboard, from the bottom. You have
to pull the motherboard out of the computer case, to service the
heatsink/fan. I've had to do that several times over the years,
and it's a pain.

Other than that, that one is a nice, average cooler.

If you don't have thermal paste, the paste included with some coolers
isn't very good. If you pick up a tube of something in your order,
it'll last a long time. I still haven't used up the first tube of
paste I bought. This product is only $5, because there are
no silver particles in it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100014

http://www.arcticsilver.com/PDF/thermcom/AA_MSDS_3.pdf

Paul

From: Kyote on
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 14:35:09 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:

-Kyote wrote:
-> I'm looking to upgrade my system. I've currently got this as my
setup
->
-> Via Speccy
-> ------------------
-> ------------
[...]
-> --
-> Kyote
->
-> sends.hearty("Greetings!");
-
[...]

Paul,

Thank you very VERY much for the thorough and linked response. You
provided enough light to show how very little I really do know. This
isn't a backhand compliment, or subtle complaint. I knew I was asking
in the right place for help.

I've added in the things you mentioned and it looks like I'll need
another $100 to get it all, from newegg too. But if I hadn't asked I'd
have the combo and it'd have to sit in the box until I could finally
afford to get new ram to go with it. When I get this I wont be able to
upgrade it any, or replace it, for at a minimum of 3yrs. Probably more
like 5yrs... lol

I want a quad since it seems a lot of the newer games are starting to
require dual(duos?) and I'm expecting things to keep going that way.
So I figure a quad core will allow me to play my older stuff as well
as newer games. After saying that, I'm not into high end games. I've
never been all that interested in 3d shooters. RTS's and RPG's tend to
be more my speed. I even enjoy playing The Sims 2 and I'd like to play
3 sometime too. I don't plan to OC. But from what I've read this MB
CPU combo is good if I wanted to try doing so. This is just to give a
bit of background for my next question...

With all the above in mind, is there a better MB and CPU(possibly ram
and heatsink/fan as well) you'd recommend for the same or a cheaper
price?

I've even considered getting a dual core instead since it'd drop my
price by quite a bit. But I'm afraid I'd be in the same boat I'm in
now, out dated and unable to play new games in a year or two. I can
hold off and buy all the above in a few months if that's what it'll
take. By then it should be a bit cheaper anyway. But, and I shouldn't
think this way, if a surprise bill comes along it'll eat my savings up
because I always pay my bills first and worry about fun last.

So far I'm gonna wait so I can get my mb/cpu, along with the ram,
heatsink/fan, and paste you mentioned.

By the way, I'm in no hurry. Thank you again for the previous
response.

--
Kyote

sends.hearty("Greetings!");
From: Paul on
Kyote wrote:

<<snippage>>

> I've even considered getting a dual core instead since it'd drop my
> price by quite a bit. But I'm afraid I'd be in the same boat I'm in
> now, out dated and unable to play new games in a year or two. I can
> hold off and buy all the above in a few months if that's what it'll
> take. By then it should be a bit cheaper anyway. But, and I shouldn't
> think this way, if a surprise bill comes along it'll eat my savings up
> because I always pay my bills first and worry about fun last.
>
> Kyote

I tried to do what you're doing. I went from an S478 DDR system with AGP slot,
to an LGA775 (those are Intel). I found a motherboard with an
AGP video slot, took DDR memory, and could take a new Intel processor.
But it had some shortcomings, that became more apparent the longer I had
it. I ended up replacing some of the components, yet again.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157115

That board would only take two sticks of RAM, but supported both
DDR and DDR2. It has an AGP slot, for an older video card (which
I used), plus a PCI Express slot. The PCI Express slot is only wired
with x4 lanes, which is roughly equivalent to AGP 4X rates. Some
people had problems getting PCI Express video cards to work in it,
and there is a list of "compatible" video cards.

The thing is, when you locate a "niche" motherboard like that,
one that bridges generations, you don't get a lot of choice.
There may be 100 motherboard designs with only "modern" slots
in them, for every 1 motherboard that bridges generations of
hardware. So you don't have many shopping choices. The biggest
downfall of that motherboard, was the quality of the BIOS.
I have a suspicion Intel may have played a hand in ruining the
design of it.

I think my upgrade cost about $300 or so, and it did end up being
a lot faster than what I had previously. But in terms of being
future proof, it didn't go far enough in the future direction.

I did appreciate some of the little things, that were on that
board. When I needed an RS232 port, there was one in the I/O
connector area. For my latest system, I had to buy a USB to RS232
adapter, and that isn't nearly as convenient. (Since the USB
ports run from +5VSB, if I suspend the computer, the USB to RS232
adapters stay powered. I don't really want that to happen, but
I'm not going to unplug them every time either.)

So on the plus side, going with modern components, may allow
you to make upgrades. For example, with AMD you have choices
like dual, triple, quad, or hex core processors. With the right
motherboard, you could use any of those.

On the minus side, some of the newer boards are missing
the small items, like serial ports, parallel ports (for an
old printer), some are even missing PS/2 connectors. I still
like to see PS/2 connectors, and I have only one PS/2 on my
current system. My mouse is USB, but under high load, sometimes
the mouse doesn't respond immediately. I didn't have that problem
with the Asrock motherboard, as it still had two PS/2 connectors.
I've never had a problem with PS/2 and responsiveness or lag issues.

If you don't have enough money to "do it right", hold off for
a year and there will still be a system for you to purchase.
I'm more worried about good games coming out, than about
finding hardware :-) I'm not that crazy about games where
there is a high "Internet" component, such as monthly fees,
registration and the like. It looks like I'm a dying breed...

When I got my last motherboard (the "modern" one), I had
to say goodbye to my AGP video card, and buy a PCI Express
one. I got lucky, and got a video card for $65. The manufacturer
was getting out of the video card business, which is why it
was a bargain. So that is another expense, with getting the
"modern" motherboard. You don't get to keep very much of your
old stuff.

As for the power supply, I'm using a 460W supply right now,
and I probably don't use more than half of it. Modern supplies
tend to have more +12V output capability, which is a better
match for the modern hardware.

Check your supply and see whether it has PCI Express power
connectors or not. Mine has two, and a low end video card
would use zero or one of those, while a high end card might
need two connectors. (A high end power supply, has four PCI
Express connectors on it, for SLI setups.) To encourage you
getting the right size of supply, the PCI Express connector
count will get you in the right ballpark on power. As long as
you're not planning on buying a GTX 480 or the like, your 500W
might be enough.

My video card is 48 watts, while a high end video card is
260 watts. The video card can make a difference, to whether
the power supply is enough. Your processor choice was 125W,
but a high end video card, at 260W, makes an even bigger
difference. The 260W one would also make your computer case
a bit harder to keep cool.

Paul