From: Peter Olcott on
On 5/18/2010 5:40 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>> I could have called the range of code points above 7F to be named
>> something other than a letter but there was no need to since its makes
>> no relevant difference.
> ****
> So if I'm writing in some other language, and write two parameters, in my native language
> using the letters for A and B, and my native comma, you are saying that A,B is actually a
> single identifier? Really? Am I going to believe you are supporting me coding in my
> native language? And this is just looking at the most trivial examples; I don't know
> enough of Chinese, Japanese or Korean to tell how a "name" which is a sequence of letters
> can be formed. I could believe that a single Chinese character would constitute a valid
> variable name, so two such glyphs would be the equivalent of writing, in C, the expression
> A B
> which is syntactically invalid.

Let me more precisely state my original goal. My language will
essentially have the syntax of C++, and allow its users to write
Identifiers in their native language. If they don't use the ASCII comma
between parameters then they are specifying incorrect syntax.

From what I understand what I am proposing is much better than C/C++
provides. From what I understand C/C++ only accepts ASCII. This
restriction mandates substantially poorer code quality (in terms of self
documenting code) for much of the rest of the world.

I am removing this restriction from my language to the extent that it is
cost-effective to do so. I am not removing this restriction beyond the
extent that it is cost-effective to do so.
From: Peter Olcott on
On 5/18/2010 5:48 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> See below...
> On Tue, 18 May 2010 14:03:56 -0500, Peter Olcott<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/18/2010 3:10 AM, Mihai N. wrote:
>>>

>>> Why not go to the root of the problem?
>>>
>>> This is what you need:
>>>
>>> Then expose the whole thing using a COM model, and it would allow
>>> anyone to automate using any .NET language, Perl, JScript, you name it.
>>> Solid languages, some of them supporting Unicode out of the box, way
>>> more popular. You stop wasting your time developing a compiler,
>>> and people will not be forces to waste time learning another
>>> programming language (C-like but not quite C).
>>>

>> I considered that , but rejected it for two reasons:
>> (1) Not sufficiently platform independent.
>> (2) Makes my success too dependent upon Microsoft.
> ****
> Why do you program in Windows? That really requires (2), since the linux/Mac market is
> far too small to count.
> joe

I had to learn GUI development somewhere. Windows was the market leader.
I am phasing this out and moving to Unix/Linux.

From: Hector Santos on
Peter Olcott wrote:

> Let me more precisely state my original goal. My language will
> essentially have the syntax of C++, and allow its users to write
> Identifiers in their native language. If they don't use the ASCII comma
> between parameters then they are specifying incorrect syntax.
>
> From what I understand what I am proposing is much better than C/C++
> provides. From what I understand C/C++ only accepts ASCII.

Once again your understanding is WRONG!

--
HLS
From: Peter Olcott on
On 5/18/2010 7:36 PM, Hector Santos wrote:
> Peter Olcott wrote:
>
>> Let me more precisely state my original goal. My language will
>> essentially have the syntax of C++, and allow its users to write
>> Identifiers in their native language. If they don't use the ASCII
>> comma between parameters then they are specifying incorrect syntax.
>>
>> From what I understand what I am proposing is much better than C/C++
>> provides. From what I understand C/C++ only accepts ASCII.
>

> Once again your understanding is WRONG!
>
> --
> HLS

So C++ can take UTF-8 Identifiers?
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Tue, 18 May 2010 18:05:54 -0500, Peter Olcott <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>On 5/18/2010 5:40 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>>> I could have called the range of code points above 7F to be named
>>> something other than a letter but there was no need to since its makes
>>> no relevant difference.
>> ****
>> So if I'm writing in some other language, and write two parameters, in my native language
>> using the letters for A and B, and my native comma, you are saying that A,B is actually a
>> single identifier? Really? Am I going to believe you are supporting me coding in my
>> native language? And this is just looking at the most trivial examples; I don't know
>> enough of Chinese, Japanese or Korean to tell how a "name" which is a sequence of letters
>> can be formed. I could believe that a single Chinese character would constitute a valid
>> variable name, so two such glyphs would be the equivalent of writing, in C, the expression
>> A B
>> which is syntactically invalid.
>>

>Let me more precisely state my original goal. My language will
>essentially have the syntax of C++, and allow its users to write
>Identifiers in their native language. If they don't use the ASCII comma
>between parameters then they are specifying incorrect syntax.
***
Oh, so it is "write identifiers in their native language" but if they write the digits
1234 in their native script, you think it is an identifier, not a number. And a comma is
a comma only if it is a comma that I recognize, not one you tell me I have to use.
****

> From what I understand what I am proposing is much better than C/C++
>provides. From what I understand C/C++ only accepts ASCII. This
>restriction mandates substantially poorer code quality (in terms of self
>documenting code) for much of the rest of the world.
****
C/C++ actually states that the character set for identifiers is implementation-specific
****

>I am removing this restriction from my language to the extent that it is
>cost-effective to do so. I am not removing this restriction beyond the
>extent that it is cost-effective to do so.
****
Oh, so the truth comes out, "you can program in your native language, as long as it is
convenient for me to let you do so". Or "your native language is what *I* tell you it
is!"
joe