From: John McWilliams on
C J Campbell wrote:
> On 2010-02-06 06:58:06 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
> said:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 01:36:11 -0800, C J Campbell
>> <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This is Mayor Richard M. Daley's town. The same Mayor Daley who
>>> illegally closed Meigs Airport by bulldozing its runways in the dead of
>>> night, stranding sixteen planes there. No warning to planes that might
>>> have been on the way, either, or any notification to the FAA (the FAA
>>> requires advance notification of the closing of an airport for obvious
>>> safety reasons), which promptly sued the city of Chicago.
>>>
>> Having lived in Chicago when the original "Da Mayor" was in office, I
>> have a much different view of Mayor Daley's father. However, I'm not
>> interested in debating political views, so...a joke for photographers
>> and pilots instead:
>>
>> A CNN News reporter booked a chartered flight. He was told a
>> twin-engine plane would be waiting for him at the airport.
>>
>> Arriving at the airfield, he spotted a plane warming up outside a
>> hanger. He jumped in with his bag, slammed the door shut, and
>> shouted, 'Let's go'.
>>
>> The pilot taxied out, swung the plane into the wind
>> and took off. Once in the air, the photographer instructed the
>> pilot, 'Fly over the valley and make low passes so I can take pictures
>> of the fires on the hillsides.'
>>
>> 'Why?' asked the pilot.
>>
>> 'Because I'm a photographer for CNN', he responded, 'and I need to get
>> some close up shots.'
>>
>> The pilot was strangely silent for a moment. Finally he stammered,
>> 'So, what you're telling me, is . . . You're NOT my flight
>> instructor?'
>
> Real life story: Shortly after 9/11, small airports and general aviation
> businesses were scrambling to prove that they were not terrorist
> threats. The FBI descended on our flight school, carted away all of our
> records, and did not return them for months. The only thing they found
> was that it turned out one of the instructors was an illegal alien from
> Germany (he had overstayed a student visa). We all thought he was a
> citizen. He had suddenly quit the first day the FBI showed up and last I
> heard he was working as a stock broker in Las Vegas. I have no idea
> whether he ever got his immigration status worked out.

How perfect!

> Anyway, down in Arizona, Glendale Aviation had this great idea for a
> press day. They invited some reporters and a photographer from the
> Arizona Republic down for an airplane ride. They had a beautiful old
> Piper Seneca and assigned a very experienced, albeit elderly, pilot to
> the flight. Okay, he was something like 80 years old. The reporters all
> gathered around as he preflighted the Seneca, going over everything in
> his usual careful, methodical habit. Then he keeled over, dead. Massive
> heart attack.
>
> How's that for making a great positive impression?

Super! Better than on takeoff roll! Did he have a white handlebar
'stache, and wear a brown leather flight jacket??

--
John McWilliams
From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-02-06 06:58:06 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 01:36:11 -0800, C J Campbell
> <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is Mayor Richard M. Daley's town. The same Mayor Daley who
>> illegally closed Meigs Airport by bulldozing its runways in the dead of
>> night, stranding sixteen planes there. No warning to planes that might
>> have been on the way, either, or any notification to the FAA (the FAA
>> requires advance notification of the closing of an airport for obvious
>> safety reasons), which promptly sued the city of Chicago.
>>
> Having lived in Chicago when the original "Da Mayor" was in office, I
> have a much different view of Mayor Daley's father. However, I'm not
> interested in debating political views, so...a joke for photographers
> and pilots instead:
>
> A CNN News reporter booked a chartered flight. He was told a
> twin-engine plane would be waiting for him at the airport.
>
> Arriving at the airfield, he spotted a plane warming up outside a
> hanger. He jumped in with his bag, slammed the door shut, and
> shouted, 'Let's go'.
>
> The pilot taxied out, swung the plane into the wind
> and took off. Once in the air, the photographer instructed the
> pilot, 'Fly over the valley and make low passes so I can take pictures
> of the fires on the hillsides.'
>
> 'Why?' asked the pilot.
>
> 'Because I'm a photographer for CNN', he responded, 'and I need to get
> some close up shots.'
>
> The pilot was strangely silent for a moment. Finally he stammered,
> 'So, what you're telling me, is . . . You're NOT my flight
> instructor?'

And a third note: the story might well be partially true. Half the
pilots I know have tried pulling this practical joke at one time or
another. However, I have never heard of any reporter being fooled by it.

However, few pilots would allow passengers to board a twin engine
propeller driven airplane with the engines running. It is much too
dangerous. I have heard of a few flight instructors who tried it. I
have heard of a few who died trying it, too.

My own favorite joke for getting passengers to relax: I include in my
safety briefing something on the order of "Now, if you are new to small
airplanes you may have some concerns I would like to alleviate. So, if
you all will look out the left side, WE'LL TIP OVER!"

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: tony cooper on
On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 08:50:20 -0800, C J Campbell
<christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>And a third note: the story might well be partially true. Half the
>pilots I know have tried pulling this practical joke at one time or
>another. However, I have never heard of any reporter being fooled by it.
>
>However, few pilots would allow passengers to board a twin engine
>propeller driven airplane with the engines running. It is much too
>dangerous. I have heard of a few flight instructors who tried it. I
>have heard of a few who died trying it, too.

Good Lord, CJ...it's a *joke*. I even said so. It's not "My most
embarrassing true story" from Reader's Digest.

>My own favorite joke for getting passengers to relax: I include in my
>safety briefing something on the order of "Now, if you are new to small
>airplanes you may have some concerns I would like to alleviate. So, if
>you all will look out the left side, WE'LL TIP OVER!"

I'll bet you are a riot on the tarmac.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Robert Coe on
:
: > On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 01:36:11 -0800, C J Campbell
: > <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
: >
: ...
: However, few pilots would allow passengers to board a twin engine
: propeller driven airplane with the engines running. It is much too
: dangerous. I have heard of a few flight instructors who tried it. I
: have heard of a few who died trying it, too.

Well, I believe I've boarded many twin-engine planes (as a passenger) with the
right-hand engine running. Possibly the left-hand engine was turned off in all
such cases; I don't really remember.

Bob
From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-02-06 08:44:52 -0800, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> said:

> C J Campbell wrote:
>> On 2010-02-06 06:58:06 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

>>> Having lived in Chicago when the original "Da Mayor" was in office, I
>>> have a much different view of Mayor Daley's father. However, I'm not
>>> interested in debating political views, so...a joke for photographers
>>> and pilots instead:
>>>
>>> A CNN News reporter booked a chartered flight. He was told a
>>> twin-engine plane would be waiting for him at the airport.
>>>
>>> Arriving at the airfield, he spotted a plane warming up outside a
>>> hanger. He jumped in with his bag, slammed the door shut, and
>>> shouted, 'Let's go'.
>>>
>>> The pilot taxied out, swung the plane into the wind
>>> and took off. Once in the air, the photographer instructed the
>>> pilot, 'Fly over the valley and make low passes so I can take pictures
>>> of the fires on the hillsides.'
>>>
>>> 'Why?' asked the pilot.
>>>
>>> 'Because I'm a photographer for CNN', he responded, 'and I need to get
>>> some close up shots.'
>>>
>>> The pilot was strangely silent for a moment. Finally he stammered,
>>> 'So, what you're telling me, is . . . You're NOT my flight
>>> instructor?'
>>
>> Real life story: Shortly after 9/11, small airports and general
>> aviation businesses were scrambling to prove that they were not
>> terrorist threats. The FBI descended on our flight school, carted away
>> all of our records, and did not return them for months. The only thing
>> they found was that it turned out one of the instructors was an illegal
>> alien from Germany (he had overstayed a student visa). We all thought
>> he was a citizen. He had suddenly quit the first day the FBI showed up
>> and last I heard he was working as a stock broker in Las Vegas. I have
>> no idea whether he ever got his immigration status worked out.
>
> How perfect!
>>
>> Anyway, down in Arizona, Glendale Aviation had this great idea for a
>> press day. They invited some reporters and a photographer from the
>> Arizona Republic down for an airplane ride. They had a beautiful old
>> Piper Seneca and assigned a very experienced, albeit elderly, pilot to
>> the flight. Okay, he was something like 80 years old. The reporters all
>> gathered around as he preflighted the Seneca, going over everything in
>> his usual careful, methodical habit. Then he keeled over, dead. Massive
>> heart attack.
>>
>> How's that for making a great positive impression?
>
> Super! Better than on takeoff roll! Did he have a white handlebar
> 'stache, and wear a brown leather flight jacket??

Dunno. I met him, but I cannot see his face. It was only briefly.
However, I have a brown leather flight jacket.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last