From: Arfa Daily on

"pimpom" <pimpom(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> David Nebenzahl wrote:

>>> How about the drinking stuff? (95% "grain" alcohol).
>>>
>>> Here I can by a "fifth" (750ml) for less than 250ml of 70% Isopropyl.
>>
>> Well, that's ethanol, which should also work fine, so long as you
>> don't mind the 5% water.
>
> I use medical or denatured alcohol as a general-purpose cleaning solution.
> When I need stronger stuff, such as on cruds of old and hardened flux or
> when there's simply lots of it, I use automobile paint thinner. Wiping
> with a piece of cloth or cotton wool is usually enough and I rarely need
> to scrub with a brush.
>
> The thinner can dissolve some plastics though. So some care is needed, as
> is good ventilation. It looks and feels somewhat oily but dries very
> quickly. A one-liter can costs about $3 US here.

Hope you never use it on a board that's got a lacquer type coating on it
then ... :-\

What amazes me, and I can't understand, is why all of these 'substitute'
chemicals are used by people, when the proper ones, designed for the job,
are really not expensive in the first place

Arfa

From: Sergey Kubushyn on
In sci.electronics.repair Arfa Daily <arfa.daily(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

> "pimpom" <pimpom(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> David Nebenzahl wrote:
>>> On 7/26/2010 11:49 AM Geoffrey S. Mendelson spake thus:

>>> Well, that's ethanol, which should also work fine, so long as you
>>> don't mind the 5% water.
>>
>> I use medical or denatured alcohol as a general-purpose cleaning solution.
>> When I need stronger stuff, such as on cruds of old and hardened flux or
>> when there's simply lots of it, I use automobile paint thinner. Wiping
>> with a piece of cloth or cotton wool is usually enough and I rarely need
>> to scrub with a brush.
>>
>> The thinner can dissolve some plastics though. So some care is needed, as
>> is good ventilation. It looks and feels somewhat oily but dries very
>> quickly. A one-liter can costs about $3 US here.
>>

> Hope you never use it on a board that's got a lacquer type coating on it
> then ... :-\
>
> What amazes me, and I can't understand, is why all of these 'substitute'
> chemicals are used by people, when the proper ones, designed for the job,
> are really not expensive in the first place

Another question is why do they try to clean rosin with pure alcohol that is
extremely ineffective for that purpose?

The ad-hoc solution that is cheap and works really well is a mix of 60%
denaturated alcohol with 40% Xylene from a hardware store. Pure alcohol is a
very bad solvent for rosin flux, very slow and leaving a lot of white
residue.

And it only makes sense to invent something homebrew if very good flux
remover in aerosol cans is really unavailable. Otherwise just go grab a can
at your local Fry's (or whatever) and enjoy.

---
* KSI(a)home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *
From: Jon Danniken on
David Nebenzahl wrote:

> Why mess around with isopropyl alcohol at all, since all of it
> contains *some* water? Use denatured alcohol (methanol) instead, in a
> tightly-capped container to guard against absorbing moisture.

Perhaps it is different where you live, but here in the US, denatured
alcohol is not methanol; it is, instead, ethanol with a denaturant added.
The denaturant can be methanol, or it can be any number of other chemicals,
so long as it is sufficiently adulterated to prevent a person from using it
for ingestion.

Jon

From: pimpom on
Arfa Daily wrote:
> "pimpom" <pimpom(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> David Nebenzahl wrote:
>>> On 7/26/2010 11:49 AM Geoffrey S. Mendelson spake thus:

>>> Well, that's ethanol, which should also work fine, so long as
>>> you
>>> don't mind the 5% water.
>>
>> I use medical or denatured alcohol as a general-purpose
>> cleaning
>> solution. When I need stronger stuff, such as on cruds of old
>> and
>> hardened flux or when there's simply lots of it, I use
>> automobile
>> paint thinner. Wiping with a piece of cloth or cotton wool is
>> usually enough and I rarely need to scrub with a brush.
>>
>> The thinner can dissolve some plastics though. So some care is
>> needed, as is good ventilation. It looks and feels somewhat
>> oily but
>> dries very quickly. A one-liter can costs about $3 US here.
>>

> Hope you never use it on a board that's got a lacquer type
> coating on
> it then ... :-\

I do take care to use it only where it won't do damage. The "some
plastics" was just an example.

> What amazes me, and I can't understand, is why all of these
> 'substitute' chemicals are used by people, when the proper
> ones,
> designed for the job, are really not expensive in the first
> place

Some people use the substitutes because they don't know better.
Others have good reasons: The "proper" ones are not easily
available in many parts of the world, including mine. And the
thinner serves other useful purposes too. It's a good
general-purpose solvent.

From: Arfa Daily on

"Sergey Kubushyn" <ksi(a)koi8.net> wrote in message
> In sci.electronics.repair Arfa Daily <arfa.daily(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>

>> "pimpom" <pimpom(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>>> I use medical or denatured alcohol as a general-purpose cleaning
>>> solution.
>>> When I need stronger stuff, such as on cruds of old and hardened flux or
>>> when there's simply lots of it, I use automobile paint thinner. Wiping
>>> with a piece of cloth or cotton wool is usually enough and I rarely need
>>> to scrub with a brush.
>>>
>>> The thinner can dissolve some plastics though. So some care is needed,
>>> as
>>> is good ventilation. It looks and feels somewhat oily but dries very
>>> quickly. A one-liter can costs about $3 US here.
>>>

>> Hope you never use it on a board that's got a lacquer type coating on it
>> then ... :-\
>>
>> What amazes me, and I can't understand, is why all of these 'substitute'
>> chemicals are used by people, when the proper ones, designed for the job,
>> are really not expensive in the first place
>
> Another question is why do they try to clean rosin with pure alcohol that
> is
> extremely ineffective for that purpose?
>
> The ad-hoc solution that is cheap and works really well is a mix of 60%
> denaturated alcohol with 40% Xylene from a hardware store. Pure alcohol is
> very bad solvent for rosin flux, very slow and leaving a lot of white
> residue.
>
> And it only makes sense to invent something homebrew if very good flux
> remover in aerosol cans is really unavailable. Otherwise just go grab a
> can
> at your local Fry's (or whatever) and enjoy.
>
> ---
> * KSI(a)home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
> * Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *

Yes, the fact that it's not very good for some types of flux - rosin as you
say - was one of my original points. Alcohol is fine for cleaning general
crud and sticky things and greasy things, and I keep a can of Electrolube
99.7% electronics grade IPA for just those purposes, but I also keep a can
of proper defluxer for, well .... defluxing ....

Arfa